HNC and HND

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heres a non-diy question for a change,

My tradesman and I were sent to work with two electrical engineers to assist them (and learn from them) in the periodic inspection of a large factory unit as we will be rectifying the defects they find (there were a few shockers, excuse the pun).

These guys definately know their stuff and if I was sad enough to have heroes in my workplace these guys would definately be demi-gods. They work for an insurance company testing and inspecting every day and their job takes them all sorts of weird and wonderful places, and good money and they seem to not only know the regs book inside out but they can tell you the exact number of each regulation and table. Perhaps some of you can do that but to me thats dedication!

So, I was asking one how he got into the game, and he started with the Electricity board before sitting his HNC and then HND. This type of career progression really appeals to me but obviously its a long way off for me....

What I wish to know is has anyone on this board went down this route and if so how did you find it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I fear you will not find an Electricity Board anywhere these days.

The big PESs take on a tiny number of apprentices - if you go to their websites you might find reference in the "jobs/vacancies/careers" sections. There are some Contracting arms, many of which are now owned by SSE.

I didn't think HNDs were popular these days. HNC means part time and (in my day) was considered a less-high qualification but a good indicator for someone you'd offer a job too, because it involves a lot of hard work and private study in your own time while holding down a job. For some reason young people were considered a bunch of idle layabouts back then.

No doubt things have changed ;)

I have a good friend who did just this and does exactly the job you describe. Send me an email and I'll pass your contact details on to him. He'll be happy to tell you about it.

Not perhaps the answer your looking for, but I did the HND then Degree route in Civil Engineering, all part time employed during sandwitch course. It was hard and took a long time (6 years in total and i didn't fail any of the years) I would depending on your circumstances and with the benefit of hindsite, aim as high as you possibly can to begin with. If you cant find an employer to take you on have you got any qualifications to get you on a college course and take part time work perhaps. Doing a HNC/Degree full time still leaves you with some 20 odd weeks to work and pick up some extra cash.

Sponsored Links
think ive kinda taken the path you are referring to.

during my apprentiship in electrical maintenance i did the ONC and then the HNC. both were two years each and i did them on day release from work. found them both challenging and like john D says you've got to be prepared to put some work in.

some mates went on to do the HND but not all of them made it du to it being difficult and time consuming.

if your looking to go into inspecting and testing i dont think they are that relevant to be honest. its not often i use something i learnt on the ONC or HNC in my job to be honest.

john D made a valid point however in that employers look upon a HNC as an achievment that says something about the person. in my opinion its something that will pack a punch on your cv and welll worth getting if you have the means.

perhaps you should be looking at other courses, i learnt great deals from doing the 2381 and 2391(which i think is a fantastic course) so you should look at these too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back