Extension DIY wire

There's no reason why he shouldn't DIY the electrics, provided he knows things like how to decide what cable and protective device to use for a given load, how the way that cables are installed affects how much current they can carry, where to run cables concealed in walls and partitions, under floors and outdoors, which circuits can be ring finals and which cannot, and what the advantages and disadvantages of each are, what the two main lighting circuit topologies are, and what the advantages and disadvantages of each are, what the 3 different types of domestic single-phase supplies provided in this country are and what differences each make to the requirements for the rest of the installation, particularly any outdoor supplies, how to identify extraneous conductive parts, and know the requirements for main and supplementary bonding of them, which circuits should be RCD protected and how to test the installation - what tests, in what sequence and at what point the installation would be energised.

But if he was going to do that it was stupid to tell the council on his application for Building Regulations approval that he was going to employ a registered electrician.... :confused:

right then, I know hopw to work out what cable and protective device to use for any given load, how cable installation can effect curent capability, where it is acceptable to run cables, there are none outdoors, which circuits should be rings and the type of lighting topology i want to use, I know about the three types of domestic supply and i know what mine is, i know how to identify extraneous parts, and if and when they should be bonded, i also know how to test the installation, and at which point during the testing to energise the new circuits.

BUT, due to the use of a "professional" architect, i allowed him to submit the full plans on my behalf, and he mentioned the statement about the qualified electrician, despite the fact he KNEW i was completing all work myself - donut :(

I called BC again today and got a flat NO, we dont offer the inspection service, neither in house nor contracted at cost, you HAVE TO USE A QUALIFIED electrician - i appreciate that there was always going to be a cost involved for the electric inspection, the original question was does 300 quid seem resonable.

So where do i stand now, surley the BC cant just NOT OFFER this service, isnt it the law that they either check it over or an electrician self certs it?

frustrated...

Sponsored Links
Are they saying NO because you stated you would get an electrician in to do the work when you applied to Building Control or are they saying NO because it is a service they do not offer?

What is the name of the Local Authority?

NO its a "service we have never offered" - Walsall Council - West Midlands

This is an extract from their Building Regulations recovery of cost notice effective 1st October 2010

"The above charges do not include for the inspection and testing of electrical
installations to assess compliance with “Part P” of the Building Regulations, it
is assumed that you will employ a person who has suitable accreditation with
a relevant “competent persons scheme”. The Council can inspect and test the
electrical installation, but an additional charge will be made."

Note the last sentence - perhaps you want to refer them to it ;)

Sponsored Links
All of this flies in the face of 1 fact.

Not one single person has been prosecuted under part P for DIY electrical work in the UK since it became law.

People charging and unqualified, yes. But no DIYer has been done.

A law is pointless unless it has teeth. And part P has no teeth as far as I can see. If the OP does the work and their house burns down due to shoddy work, their insurance wont cover them. If someone gets hurt due to their shoddy work, they will get done.

True.

But there's also the issue of what will happen to the value of the house in the future when it has a 2-storey extension on the side which has no Building Regulations completion certificate.....

Some local building control offices will accept that a DIY person working in their own home can do a competent job in electrical work covered under Part P. They accept that an informed and sensible person can be suitable competant without holding the qualification.

You would need to convince your LBCO that the installation has been designed properly to conform with BS7671 and that you will do the work exactly to the design. Ifyou can do that then they may allow you to do the work over your own signature on a form of compliance.

You will need to present them with a fully documented description of the work to be done with fully worked out calculations for every circuit and cable run taking acount of insulation and other factors that reduce the current the cable is allowed to carry by BS7671.

Include drawing of all proposed cable runs. Maybe ask an electrician to confirm that the calculations are correct to save the LBCO having to check them.

Offer to provide regular photographic records of the work as it progresses to save them the expense of sending an inspector.

At the end of that if they accept the method then you may get a completion certificate from them provided you can prove all work was as per the design.

True - and that might have been possible at the start.

But I'm getting the feeling that as the OP told his LABC that the electrics would be done by a qualified electrician they are not now going to budge an inch from that.

Not one single person has been prosecuted under part P for DIY electrical work in the UK since it became law.

A law is pointless unless it has teeth. And part P has no teeth as far as I can see. If the OP does the work and their house burns down due to shoddy work, their insurance wont cover them. If someone gets hurt due to their shoddy work, they will get done.

Indeed.

Something I have been wondering about - It is obviously an offence to not comply to building regulations, but is it an offence to fail to notify?

ie - if I was to do some notifable DIY work, and it meets part P, but don't tell anyone - surely that doesn't change the fact that the work complies with building regulations?

Indeed.

Something I have been wondering about - It is obviously an offence to not comply to building regulations, but is it an offence to fail to notify?

ie - if I was to do some notifable DIY work, and it meets part P, but don't tell anyone - surely that doesn't change the fact that the work complies with building regulations?

Whether its an offence is moot; hunting for fox with hounds is an offence, yet very few have been convicted. Doesnt stop the dozens of hunts round the UK.

As an aside, does anyone know if the LABC will consider a Masters in engineering as suitable for qualifying me as a "competent person" under part P?

Yes - the regulations also require notification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back