Hob Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am changing my electric hob but have a question regarding the wiring. My old hob had 6mm cable going to it, however 6mm does not seem to fit the new hob. Well it will but because it has links in, the 6mm and the link will not fit in the same connection block.

On the installation instruction for electrical it has the following:

220-240V H05V2V2-F 2.5mm

Does this mean i can use twin and earth 2.5mm or is this a heat resistant cable but still 2.5mm?

any help would be gratefull

Sponsored Links
Ideally you would use 2.5mmsq Butyl heat resistant flex. If the cable to your old hob was 6mmsq this suggests the protective fuse/MCB rating for the hob circuit in your consumer unit is probably a little high. You might want to consider the power requirements of the new hob and possibly downrate the protective device before putting a length of 2.5 in the circuit.

The cooker circuit is on a 32A MCB, however the oven is connected also on this circuit via a FCU spurred off the hob terminal (not sure of its technical name).

Therefore there is 6mm going from consumer unit to cooker switch. 6mm going from cooker switch to hob terminal below worktop. 2.5mm spur to a FCU from the hob terminal which the oven is connected to. Then there is 6mm coming from the hob terminal to be connected to the hob, which im not going to replace with the cable you mentioned and connect to the hob.

Does that sound about right? Or will i have to look at the current draw etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back