Hole in chimney breast in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a property to rent out. The property was a repossession and the tenant he had living there was a using it as a cannabis farm. The tenant had put a hole in the chimney breast in the bedroom to put his vent, so the smell went out the chimney. I have looked inside and the chimney is lined. Am I right in assuming it is not a case of filling the hole in with a brick and some cement the plastering as this may be dangerous ?

If this is the case I will just have the fire removed as the hous eis central heated .

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the lining a metal lining? Does it stop just above the opening?
Perhaps, check the chimney breast in the loft just to see if they have possibly installed an in-line motor to power the liner venting?

Usually, with a redundant lining you can put an hit and miss air vent - 9" x 3"- into the hole in the c/breast and make good around the vent.

Later you might want to remove the liner, and sweep and smoke test the flue itself, and check the condition of the terminal on the stack.

Is the lining a metal lining? Does it stop just above the opening?
Perhaps, check the chimney breast in the loft just to see if they have possibly installed an in-line motor to power the liner venting?

Usually, with a redundant lining you can put an hit and miss air vent - 9" x 3"- into the hole in the c/breast and make good around the vent.

Later you might want to remove the liner, and sweep and smoke test the flue itself, and check the condition of the terminal on the stack.

Hi no the liner is not metal it is like the stuff what your put at the sides of your charcoal balls in a modern gas fire.

There will be no motor in loft as its a standard old chimeny 1956.

Not sure what you mean about a air vent the hole is in the bedroom and has broke into the chimney. It is not ment to be there.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding you .

Pics are needed. i dont want to guess what material the liner is made of.

The grow crew, not the original builders, may have broken into the loft c/breast to insert an in-line motor to help pull fumes out.

I'm assuming the hole is in a bricked up unused old fireplace opening? Is it somewhere else on the chimney breast?

google "hit and miss vents"

Pics will really help.

Sponsored Links
Pics are needed. i dont want to guess what material the liner is made of.

The grow crew, not the original builders, may have broken into the loft c/breast to insert an in-line motor to help pull fumes out.

I'm assuming the hole is in a bricked up unused old fireplace opening? Is it somewhere else on the chimney breast?

google "hit and miss vents"

Pics will really help.

It has not been done by a professional to do any works on the chimney.

It is neither in a bricked up part of the chimney.

Where the chimney breast goes up to the bedroom. In the bedroom a person has basically smashed a hole in it or drilled then smashed a hole to stick a vent in so when he was growing cannabis the smell would go out the roof. As this has been done some of the liner where he has smashed through is broker off where he made his hole.

Sorry I do no know how to upload pictures on here. Just tried to upload on image shack but you now have to pay since the last time I used it.

I think that your best bet is to call HETAS registered person or a GasSafe.
They will be on site giving safe advice. I cant help you any further i'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back