Hole in door

Sponsored Links
You don't say how big the hole is, or what the door is made of.

I'm going to guess that it is an interior flush door, and the hole was made for a yale-type cylinder rimlock.

If it was my house, I would use filler in the small holes, and paint them, and hide the big hole behind a brass fingerplate. I might use filler or a block of wood in the hole to strengthen it.

If I could be bothered, I would use a hole cutter in a piece of wood of similar thickness, to make a close fitting plug that I could glue into the hole, then use filler before painting it.

If I could be bothered, I would use a hole cutter in a piece of wood of similar thickness, to make a close fitting plug that I could glue into the hole, then use filler before painting it.

JohnD's the Daddy. :p

Sponsored Links
you will probably find that the plug won't be flush on both sides. I'd make it flush on the outer, show, side; and use extra filler on the inside.

I need to fill this hole, obviously I can't use just filler.

How would I do this please?

Many thanks.
a page out of The Sun screwed into a ball - then filler either side :idea: Bleedin antique furniture is made of Papier Mache - that`s wetted paper :mrgreen:

Get isopon car filler.
Counter sink slightly the small holes.
THe large hole fill with paper to within about 5mm
Mix the filler, fill holes rub down using a cork block.
Then refil & rubdown, using very fine or wet & dry paper.
If its a wood effect door you can scape the grain effect.
Paint a few coats...perfect

I did my door when the handle was fitted incorrectly.
You will be able to do this for less that £5 & your time.

well it looks like there was a yale type lock fitted,1 1/4 0r 32mm in new money,either pare up a piece of timber this size or find a piece of dowell this size,glue it in so it is below surface of door then fill it with either as mentioned isopon or 2 pack filler,jobs a gooden.

...If I could be bothered, I would use a hole cutter in a piece of wood of similar thickness, to make a close fitting plug that I could glue into the hole, then use filler before painting it.
too late.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back