Please recommend me a suitable filler for door frames...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have had new doors fitted recently and as such have now got to redecorate the frames. There are a fair few small holes to fill (where the door stops were damaged when being moved), but also got some large holes where the old hinges and catch plates used to be.

I have had a couple of recommendations:

- car body filler
- two part wood filler

Should I use one of these? Any other recommendations?

Also, when filling the larger gaps should I put something in the gaps first to make the holes smaller? Of just fill with the filler of choice?

Many thanks in advance

Max

Sponsored Links
if the holes are on the large side,best practice is to piece in some timber,then plane it down.then use the filler you have suggested.

any of the 2,some people swear by the 2 pack stuff others always use car body filler.i would use the cheapest ;)
but remember the bigger the hole the more chance it could fall out,hence why i said use timber.

Sponsored Links
Toupret make very good fillers, the one in the link is more of a wall/plaster filler though. As mentioned by gregers 2 pack fillers are good, i use the wickes stuff as it seems the same as a well known branded one and car body filler is fine as well, its pretty much the same stuff. I often use red devil on timber and never had a problem but it takes a long time to dry over deep filling (too long), there are a few deep hole fillers on the market but i've never used one as i usually cut a piece of plasterboard to the size of the hole and skim the filler over the top.

dunno m8,all i know is the decs at my place either use tetron,2 pack,i did used to have a tin of isopon body filler with me in my van.

Car filler, easy to mix, goes off quick, easy to rub down, dosnt shrink, easy to paint.
I have even used it and then scratch a wood grain on it prior to painting.

Get 4 litres easy sanding from Halfords - less than £20. Lasts forever

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back