Holes for LED downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have placed cables under the plasterboards for a series of downlights in my lounge. I have drawn a plan which tells me where the cables are and hence, where I need the holesaw punchouts.

I need to ensure that these holes are perfectly aligned as I cut holes across the room. I could do this using a chalk line but thoughts it may be a good use case for a laser level.

Would something like this help with drawing a straight line across the room? I could then mark the holes along this line according to my cable plan.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p29254?table=no

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would only use it for joining two marked points; not rely on it by itself.

Probably that is all you can do with a ceiling, anyway.

OK. I was thinking I would measure (away from the wall) on one end and then rely on the laser but if this isn't going to be reliable enough...I could make a mark on the other end.

But then again - if it isn't reliable, the two marks wont connect with the laser. Am I missing something?

No, it'll project a straight line.

I just wouldn't rely on it being level or vertical but, as I said, how can it do that on a ceiling?

Sponsored Links
OK. I follow now.
Presumably you agree that it's pointless to fork out on an expensive laser level for this purpose? I couldn't' see the value given what I am trying to achieve.

I have placed cables under the plasterboards for a series of downlights in my lounge. I have drawn a plan which tells me where the cables are and hence, where I need the holesaw punchouts.
So it's not too late for you to decide that instead of trying to light your room with an array of sunken torches, you'll use lights which are actually designed to do the job of lighting up rooms, and which make it look like a living room not a hotel foyer or a shop.

You really aren't a fan of these lights are you @ban-all-sheds :)
OK, lets be constructive. I have an open plan room with a roof lantern and bifold. Not too dissimilar to this and this is the look I am trying to achieve:
upload_2016-7-8_8-52-49.png

I will also have lamps.

What would you replace these downlights with, given what I am trying to achieve?

I have four of these...

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/ceiling-lights/18-watt-led-downlight.html

in the half of my kitchen where the units and worksurfaces are, along with a roof lantern. I chose them specifically because they have a wide beam angle and I could get them in warm white, and they are unobtrusive with white surrounds.

They provide very good lighting, no shadows when using the worksurfaces. I do have units with a gloss cream finish and white walls, so I guess plenty of light dispersing around at all angles helps the cause too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back