Holes in mortar, how to cover them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have a problem with rising damp, therefore I use dryzone to sort this problem out.

I had to drill holes in mortar, and now, I just dont know what to do with them?

Shall I leave it like it is or shall I cover holes somehow?

Thanks for help guys!

Lucas

Sponsored Links
Point them using mortar you mean? I wanted to do it, but somebody told me that I should ask for plastic corks...

Does anything like this exist?

Sponsored Links
Hi there.

I have a problem with rising damp, therefore I use dryzone to sort this problem out.

I had to drill holes in mortar, and now, I just dont know what to do with them?

Shall I leave it like it is or shall I cover holes somehow?

Thanks for help guys!

Lucas

Hi Lucas,

I think you should probably have pointed the holes using sand and cement right after you put the Dryzone in to 'trap' it in the drilled hole. Did the Dryzone not run out of the holes after you gunned it in? Has your damp problem now gone? You might want to gun a bit more in just to make sure before you cap off the holes off ;)

Mr M

Hi Lucas,

I think you should probably have pointed the holes using sand and cement right after you put the Dryzone in to 'trap' it in the drilled hole. Did the Dryzone not run out of the holes after you gunned it in? Has your damp problem now gone? You might want to gun a bit more in just to make sure before you cap off the holes off ;)

Mr M[/quote]

Dear Mr M

First of all, thank you for your helpful advise.
I did the job last week. Dryzone didnt run out of the holes. I didnt know what to do as customer servise hasnt replyed yet!
Somebody at work told me about plastic plugs but NS215 told me to don use it.

I want to repeat the process using cement and sand as you said.

Problem hasnt gone to be honest. Now its raining since few days, and my walls are moist again. Maybe I should use bigger amount of dryzone.
Maybe it just needs more time.

Thanks!

What type of wall is it - Cavity or solid construction?
Have you drilled the recommended depth into the brick with the correct sized drill bit?
Did you drill both sides ie externally and Internally?
Do you have a minimum of 150mm from the outside floor finish to the horizontal joints which you are drilling into?
Did you drill the perp ends of the brick as well as the horizontal joints?
If its a timber floor, does it have adequate ventilation to the void below?
Have you checked that you have no leaking gutters or leaky pipes which could be compounding the damp problem?

I have used Dryzone previously and it did work but I think it may take a little longer to work its magic :LOL:

I would have thought that you could point up the holes in the brick in sand and cement also.

Mr M

What type of wall is it - Cavity or solid construction?

--- Solid one (house built in 1929)

Have you drilled the recommended depth into the brick with the correct sized drill bit? Mr M

---Yes, I have

Did you drill both sides ie externally and Internally? Mr M

--- No, only externally. Dryzone instruction doesnt say anything about internal work

Do you have a minimum of 150mm from the outside floor finish to the horizontal joints which you are drilling into?
Mr M
--- I did drilling approx. 180mm in the mortar on second bricks level.

--- Horizontal joits?, sorry I dont know

Did you drill the perp ends of the brick as well as the horizontal joints? Mr M

--- sorry again, I dont know what do perp ends mean :/

If its a timber floor, does it have adequate ventilation to the void below? Mr M

--- Its a solid floor. Under carpets Ive noticed black coat which is probably an insulation for my ground floors. Unfortunately doesnt insulate damp!

--- There is no any ventilation in the kitchen, I have two grilled bricks which should do some ventilation, but ex vendor just plastered them from inside!

Have you checked that you have no leaking gutters or leaky pipes which could be compounding the damp problem?Mr M

--- All pipes are fine. The partition wall between kitchen and living room is absolutely damp. Therefore I think that the ground under my property is wet and gets more wet when it rains!
I bought damp meter which shows me how strong damp I have. Ive noticed that during rainy days all walls get more damp.

I have used Dryzone previously and it did work but I think it may take a little longer to work its magic :LOL:Mr M

--- Thats very good new! :)

BIG,BIG, BIG Thank you for so professional help!
Mr M[/quote]

Dryzone is quite a lot stronger than other damp-proofing creams so I wouldn't worry too much. Whenever I have used it I have just plugged the holes with sand/cement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back