Holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have my plumbing first fix in and the plumbers joist holes for the rads start at only 400mm from the joist end. The span is 4400mm which makes the minimum 1100mm by building regs (.25-span).
This plumbing first fix was inspected and past by building control.
Is this common practice for joist holes to be drilled, out of the .25 to .40 span range or is it just down to the inspectors discression? (The plumber did request him to visit before he started work as well)

I will require running my ring main across the plumbing in a couple of places, is there a clearance measurement i need to have when crossing plastic plumbing when clipping it to the joists and would i still require having the joist holes at a minimum of 1100mm?

Thanks,
JC

Sponsored Links
You could try being patient, alot of the 'pros' were sleeping when you posted this question, and now alot of them are at work/still sleeping etc.

Plumbers are notoriously bad at sticking to the quidelines for notches/holes in joists. If the inspector passed it then he must have been satisfied that the joists structural strength was not compromised so there shouldn't be a problem. You should stick to the guidelines though, because you probably won't be so lucky.

Try to keep the cables away from the central heating pipes as much as possible, and if they have to cross make sure the cables/pipes are not in direct contact.

Sponsored Links
to bhe honest with you, i had no idea that there was a minimum distance for holes along the span.. I know that it's supposed to be 50mm in form the top and bottom ( or central if the joists are less than 100mm )

as for crossing pipes.. it's best to put cables under the pipes, not over them since heat rises, and as far away from them as is possible..

direct contact is a no-no since it degrades the insulation..

ColJack said:
to bhe honest with you, i had no idea that there was a minimum distance for holes along the span.. I know that it's supposed to be 50mm in form the top and bottom ( or central if the joists are less than 100mm )

For drilling:

Hole diameters are not to exceed 25% of the joist depth.
Hole centres must be atleast 3 diameters apart
Holes must be drilled in the zone which extends 25-40% of the beam length from both ends.

For notching:

Depth not greater than 1/8th of the joist depth.
Notches must only be in the zone 7-25% of the beam length from both ends.

Thank you everyone for your help. ;)

All I want now is for a Chelsea win this afternoon.......
Cheers,
JC

that just makes it a PITA..

you have to move all the furniture into the center of a room to lift carpets, then you can't drill round the edges anyway....

bah....

If I ever get the money to build my own house ( or buy a house with floorboards even.. ), then I'm going to implement several ideas to make my life easier...

floors will have 2x4's on flat on the top or bottom of the joists running at right angles.. this makes running cables and pipes etc a lot easier as it negates the need for drilling.. ( also stiffens the floor.. )

all walls will be battened out with 2x1 timber on flat, again for ease of runnig pipes and cables and to save on chasing out..

walls in the kitchen will be boarded with 12mm ply first, then plasterboard on top to give the cabinets something to screw into..

ColJack,
My last house was a new build (D/Wilson) and the build quality Crap with only the roof tiles not needing any snagging work doing.
I now have extended a 1920`s 2up 2down adding 60sm on the side and back.
I have already batterned out the old 9" solid brickwalls for adding celotex and running cables, and although I have been living a little messy for several months im far happier than i was in the new build.

Trouble is i am already thinking about doing another one, and this isn`t finished yet :eek:

JC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back