home diagnostics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i understand that the diy diagnosis tools around today are a cost efective way to maintain and repair a car. do they have to be make specific, can you turn off the service light and how good are they? how much do they cost aprox? i am looking to service and light repair my 08 zafira untill such time that it goes to that great scrap yard in the sky. it's a 1.8 ecotech by the way.

Sponsored Links
Tools for turning off service lights are relatively cheap on ebay but if you want one that will do a full analysis of the electronics they don't come cheap, and yes they are usually make specific, although there are some fairly universal ones but they are very expensive.

Peter

Petrols after 2000 and diesels after 2005 will have a OBD2 diagnostic port. You can get cheap scanner but they don't always work reliably. I have seen some malfunction and report the wrong fault code.

Even with this it only reports engine fault codes. You need specific tools to read other diagnostic systems and to program other settings.
VW, Audi, Seat, and Skoda are all VAG group cars and you can use a tool made by Ross-tech to do most things a dealer can.

I get my diagnostic stuff from Gendan - and its worth a look there.
I restrict my diagnostics to engine management and fault code stuff and my scanner reads the fault code, gives an on screen diagnosis and then can turn the light back off again - thats as far as I go.
It will plug in to any petrol vehicle after 2001 and any diesel after 2004.
Its a GCR10 code reader and cost around £100.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Sounds very reasonable John, they have obviously come down a lot. I have a Lexia for my Peugeot/Citroens but I'm pleased to say I haven't needed to use it yet. :D

Peter

Good morning Peter :D
Since the introduction of the 'universal' diagnostic port, scanning has become much easier. Of course, some of the results are somewhat generic but its very good to be able to read the fault code, clear the malfunction light and then see if the fault reappears.
I think mine will be used once a month on average and it has the effect on the customer that I actually know what I'm doing......!
John :)

i understand that the diy diagnosis tools around today are a cost efective way to maintain and repair a car. do they have to be make specific, can you turn off the service light and how good are they? how much do they cost aprox? i am looking to service and light repair my 08 zafira untill such time that it goes to that great scrap yard in the sky. it's a 1.8 ecotech by the way.

Universal tools are ok to a point, but a bit generic. If you plan on keeping the VX for a while it may be best to get a scanner called OP-COM (or VAUX-COM) as this is specific to your marque. The big advantage is that you can do more with it and it gives clearer indications of where an issue lies should it arise (e.g. you can run engine measuring blocks for sensors etc to show if they are behaving normally). OP-COM is laptop based with a USB cable from the handheld 16-pin connector and you should be able to pick one up with software on ebay for less than 40 quid.
From personal experience it's a worthwhile investment as it's already saved me a packet on an engine replacement project I am doing :D
If you want more details on how it all works just mail me [email protected]

thanks to all. i think i might go for the lappy based idea. i may not get full use from it as i only intend to replace sensors and what not plus general servicing. i must say, things sure have altered since the days of the dwell meter and the strobe light. that's about as far back as it is since the times i used to fix up cars :LOL:

as mentioned you may be better off looking for a laptop based package
vauxhalls are a bit fussy on diagnostic tools and most hand held stuff wont reset service intervals anyway
i paid out nearly £200 for a sealey service light reset tool and the first car i tried it on didnt work, even though they claimed it worked on 99% of cars!
There is a lot of good advice on the internet regarding service interval reset just by using the buttons on the clocks etc

thanks to all. i think i might go for the lappy based idea. i may not get full use from it as i only intend to replace sensors and what not plus general servicing. i must say, things sure have altered since the days of the dwell meter and the strobe light. that's about as far back as it is since the times i used to fix up cars :LOL:

It's a sound investment mate, you will find that you probably use it more than you envisage especially if changing sensors etc as using the diag tool to check the new sensor is working fine is a good step.
I forgot to add that the OP-COM doesn't just allow for checking, you can re-program keys and the entertainment systems with it.
As I say, if you need more info on it to make a decision just give me a shout.

iirc you can reset the service light yourself without the need of a diagnostic tool.
think you turn the ignition on but not start and hold the trip button in.
im sure this info is readiliy available in vaxhall forums.

Remember of course that you still need to refer back to basics - a diagnostic tool won't tell you everything you need to know.
Diagnostic trouble code may be as a result of a problem for example you may get a MAF sensor fault caused by a manifold air leak as opposed to a sensor issue etc etc.
I have seen a fair few instances of people relying on diagnostic tools too much, personally I like to be able to double check before forking out ££s!

Remember of course that you still need to refer back to basics - a diagnostic tool won't tell you everything you need to know.
Diagnostic trouble code may be as a result of a problem for example you may get a MAF sensor fault caused by a manifold air leak as opposed to a sensor issue etc etc.
I have seen a fair few instances of people relying on diagnostic tools too much, personally I like to be able to double check before forking out ££s!

Yeah but the diag tool gives you a good place to start. With the number of possible sensors in a modern engine it's good to know where you should start looking - even if it means you end up working back from there.
Example was when I was doing a swap out on a Z18XE Vx engine, would start but was running lumpy and bouncing a bit. I could have spent ages working my way round everything but with the OP-COM rig it pointed me straight to a low/high voltage imbalance across a sensor array on a common fuse, turned out the fuse was knackered (even though it looked intact. Saved me time and money messing with swapping sensors etc.

Sort of reinforces what I said above, you didn't believe all the sensors were U/S (and didn't spend ££s replacing them), interoperated the test results and went back to basics.
If we believed OBD all the time we'd spend a lot of money and look like complete idiots in front of customers!

Sponsored Links
Back