Home insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer of mine has had water damage but to what extent we don't really know.

I don't think it's alot of damage but she wants it inspected to see if a claim is worth it.

Q is if she makes the insurance company aware of the issue
and decides not to claim will it:
a) count as a claim
b) put up her premium the following year?

Sponsored Links
A customer of mine has had water damage but to what extent we don't really know.

I don't think it's alot of damage but she wants it inspected to see if a claim is worth it.

a) count as a claim

Did with me once, but that was 20 years ago.

Leak brought part of lounge ceiling down.
I made an enquiry to the insurance company about likely repairs, replacement of sofa, carpets etc (wet plaster on cream sofa wasn't a great look).

When they said they wouldn't replace, only clean, I told them to not bother.

Next renewal was significantly hiked. I called them.
Reason given - "escape of water" event.

I told them that I hadn't claimed, which they knew, and to do one.

There is a risk that not fixing the defect identified and reported is a breach of the terms of insurance. So is not notifying them about an issue.
They will loss adjust any claim where further negligence made the problem worse.

Did with me once, but that was 20 years ago.

Leak brought part of lounge ceiling down.
I made an enquiry to the insurance company about likely repairs, replacement of sofa, carpets etc (wet plaster on cream sofa wasn't a great look).

When they said they wouldn't replace, only clean, I told them to not bother.

Next renewal was significantly hiked. I called them.
Reason given - "escape of water" event.

I told them that I hadn't claimed, which they knew, and to do one.
This happened to me also but with car insurance

Sponsored Links
The correct answer is : You are asking the internets, you are not the proper person who should be inspecting her water damage & advising her of any possible insurance complications.

Motorbiking is close but neglects to mention that it should be the insurance Co's assessor that (coughs) assess's the situation & advises accordingly.

Anything else has complications . . . .

I made a claim for storm damage to a boundary wall. The assessor recorded it as an old crack and refused my claim. I still had to declare the 'claim' at my next renewal :(

a) count as a claim
a) No, but it will count as an 'incident'.
b) Yes.

one of the questions they now ask . Have you had any incidents in the last 5 years resulting in a claim or not

Unfortunately most folk don't realise that insurance companies are some of the biggest rascals on earth and will do almost anything to get even more money out of you. I decided twenty years ago to not buy "home" insurance anymore as I no longer had a mortgage but to make sure I always had £10k in savings "just in case". That £10k has earned a little interest over the years and I have saved £,000s in premiums not paid. You probably think I am mad but in a lifetime not many people suffer really serious damage such as a fire.

It's easy to forget that Home insurance provides you with public liability insurance and also the legal means to defend or pursue a claim. There are many examples where you could find yourself running up 10s of thousands protecting your assets.

Unfortunately most folk don't realise that insurance companies are some of the biggest rascals on earth and will do almost anything to get even more money out of you. I decided twenty years ago to not buy "home" insurance anymore as I no longer had a mortgage but to make sure I always had £10k in savings "just in case". That £10k has earned a little interest over the years and I have saved £,000s in premiums not paid. You probably think I am mad but in a lifetime not many people suffer really serious damage such as a fire.
And 10k covers very little, especially any damage to other people or property.

The only thing to do with home insurance is to obtain quotes yearly. A pain but worthwhile.

Seeing as I have no intention of damaging other folk or their property except perhaps by accident in my car which of course is insured anyway, I don't see the point and it's still a waste of money for most people because they do whatever they can not to pay.

Is it really worth it though, for the trivial amount saved?

My insurance has never been more than a couple of hundred quid p.a., for cover up to £1M.

Home insurance .
do you mean buildings insurance or contents insurance
If you mean buildings then you are off your nut especially if your not in a detached property

Sponsored Links
Back