Home insurance

Unfortunately most folk don't realise that insurance companies are some of the biggest rascals on earth and will do almost anything to get even more money out of you. I decided twenty years ago to not buy "home" insurance anymore as I no longer had a mortgage but to make sure I always had £10k in savings "just in case". That £10k has earned a little interest over the years and I have saved £,000s in premiums not paid. You probably think I am mad but in a lifetime not many people suffer really serious damage such as a fire.
Madness

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately most folk don't realise that insurance companies are some of the biggest rascals on earth and will do almost anything to get even more money out of you. I decided twenty years ago to not buy "home" insurance anymore as I no longer had a mortgage but to make sure I always had £10k in savings "just in case". That £10k has earned a little interest over the years and I have saved £,000s in premiums not paid. You probably think I am mad but in a lifetime not many people suffer really serious damage such as a fire.
For the four quid a week or so that I pay, I can sleep easy knowing that if my house burnt to the ground, collapsed or was burgled and all my valuables were taken, or if I lost a £7k watch or my Mrs lost a diamond ring or we were sued for hundreds of thousands of pounds for say, a cleaner that fell over and suffered a brain injury or if we had to get legal support for a dispute etc etc, I think it’s pretty good value. Your £10K pot wouldn’t make a dent in a few of those instances.

Your such a big head
A 7k watch is hardly being a big head - it was my 60th birthday present. Didn’t cost £7k at the time, cost less than £5K, but it will cost over £7K to replace. Costs me about £25 a year to add onto my insurance and it’s covered outside the house in case of loss or theft.

Sponsored Links
A 7k watch is hardly being a big head - it was my 60th birthday present. Didn’t cost £7k at the time, cost less than £5K, but it will cost over £7K to replace. Costs me about £25 a year to add onto my insurance and it’s covered outside the house in case of loss or theft.

Your shocking

You mean Watch ⌚️ 7 grand it.
Actually, scrub that £7K. just checked the price again.. Looks like I’ll have to up my insurance! I chose the ‘57 Speedmaster as it was a reissue of the original that was released in 1957 - the year I was born. I got it for my 60th in 2017.

IMG_0786.jpeg

I have Seamaster Pro too. That will cost double what I paid to replace if I lost or had it stolen. Yep, insurance is worth it in my mind. They’re definately not what some people would call 'luxury' watches. Mid range if anything - same as Rolex Subs. Just that someone is less likely to chop my arm off to take an Omega!

Dunno what the cushions cost - mrs mottie made them.

Last edited:
I have Seamaster Pro too. That will cost double what I paid to replace if I lost or had it stolen. Yep, insurance is worth it in my mind.

Dunno what the cushions cost - mrs mottie made them.

You need to keep an eye on what she spends.

Sponsored Links
Back