Home lighting wiring confusion ???

Well thanks for all the feedback my friend - I'll pop round his later with my new found knowledge and see what I can do

Sponsored Links
Everything is connected to a 3 switch wall socket?

Wall socket?? What do you mean by a wall socket???

A wall socket has rectanglar holes and you plug things into it (eg a Hoover).

Or did you mean something else, a 3 gang light switch maybe?
If so, please clarify - cant begin to help unless you type in the correct words.

Kind of difficult to know the exact correct wordings unless you take a keen interest or deal in sparks - Evidently neither of which I do.

So its a 3 gang light switch?

Sponsored Links
All sorted now - It was a case of connecting the 2 remaining black wires together in a separate connection block then connecting 1 red into the loop and 1 into the neutral - and walaa - job done!

Cheers to everyone that responded and to rocky above for resizing my photo - this really is a top forum

It all seems so easy when you know how ;)

Kind of difficult to know the exact correct wordings unless you take a keen interest or deal in sparks - Evidently neither of which I do.
I wouldn't have thought you did need either of those to know the difference between a socket and a switch, but there you go...

All sorted now - It was a case of connecting the 2 remaining black wires together in a separate connection block then connecting 1 red into the loop and 1 into the neutral - and walaa - job done!
A red being used for neutral??? :confused:

I was just thinking that...

stop right now and figure out which wire is the switch wire and swap the other one round so that there is a red and black in the terminal block ( switched black and red to light ) and a black in the neutral..

live to switch ---Switch --- Switched live ---|--- Switched live to other light--- Light --- Neutral back to rose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back