Home Secretary is not sorry that there is a shortage of PPE

I wear ear's a lot at work these days.

Now that I've got partial hearing in one ear and tinnitus, I wish I'd started wearing them years ago, just didn't bother. Mind you, those loud Bands in the pub on a Saturday night probably didn't help either.

Sponsored Links
A perfectly valid defence in the case of a serious accident.

I do have both public liability and employers liability and its up to date and with the threshold amounts required. That was all the school was interested in. From what I can gather, all the other clipboard nonsense was dealt with by the school.

Now that I've got partial hearing in one ear and tinnitus, I wish I'd started wearing them years ago
Me too. My old gaffer simply did not have any PPE at all.

I never wear goggles and a dust mask at the same time. Rarely wear a dust mask at all.

I never wear goggles and a dust mask at the same time. Rarely wear a dust mask at all
You must be well hard.

I do have both public liability and employers liability and its up to date and with the threshold amounts required. That was all the school was interested in. From what I can gather, all the other clipboard nonsense was dealt with by the school.
All very commendable but no insurance can prevent an accident and neither will the ‘clipboard nonsense' by a third party absolve your legal liability in the event of a serious accident. In fact, if you cannot demonstrate by your actions that you have fulfilled your legal responsibilities to those in your care by carrying out a documented risk assessment particular to the young person in your care, the insurance will not cover you in the event of something serious happening and it could very well be goodbye to your home and everything else you own. Stop being so apathetic with the safety of others and your families financial security, it costs very little to do things properly and your blokey builder attitude is a bit out of date these days.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any clipboard warrior can write it.
No they can’t but you're one of those people that doesn’t like being told so just go ahead and do what you deem to be correct. Meanwhile, I’ll just keep my fingers crossed for any students that come to you for work experience. (y)

@noseall, please (for everyones' sake), do not take any other WE kids on.
You seem like a nice, genuine, and generally sensible person, but that will not help anyone (yourself and your family included), should any WE kid (any youngster, as it happens) suffer life-changing injury.

Young people are special cases because they do not have the experience that has allowed us older ones to "get away with it - relatively - unscathed" (in the most part; although I do recall one poster on here who lost his life due to an ill-advised alteration to a grinder. How many of us shook our heads at the breaking of that "obvious" rule?)

If you find the right youngster, they are dangerous; because they are keen and willing. Couple this with their lack of experience, they can and do "go the extra mile", go beyond what they're supposed to be doing, and go beyond where they're supposed to be working.

A pile of RA paperwork is not the be-all-and-end-all of it - in my opinion, tight supervision and mentoring is the true safeguard - but the RAs are an indicator of a wider pro-active and healthy attitude to H & S within your company.

Former head of HSE (Dame Judith Hackett) said recently "I have come to the conclusion that there are no "new" accidents, only new people having the same "old" accidents." In other words, people are not learning from their mistakes.

A final point; you wouldn't tell someone "£45k" for their extension or whatever, without any specification, terms, etc, so why would you have a "wing-it" attitude to H & S?

@noseall, please (for everyones' sake), do not take any other WE kids on.
You seem like a nice, genuine, and generally sensible person, but that will not help anyone (yourself and your family included), should any WE kid (any youngster, as it happens) suffer life-changing injury
I don't set out to hurt the sprogs, honest.

How are they supposed to get (building) work experience?

Nobody does set out to deliberately hurt inexperienced WE trainees.

They should get any work experience in a safe, supervised and monitored workplace. A building site will be a more dangerous situation that a retail or office environment. You are the one with legal responsibility for them and if you can’t provide that environment you shouldn’t really be having them for both your sakes.

Last edited:

I am certain that you don't.
I am also certain that most of those who do hurt (or worse) the kids didn't set out to, either.
They either didn't think, or didn't consider the youngster's lack of experience, or the job deviated outside of what was safely-controlled (and they didn't reassess the new situation).

In a controlled environment, with a degree of planning, and a lot of supervision.

Some basic rules of thumb:
"If it is not written down", it didn't happen".
"Write down what you do, and do what you've written down".

None of this has to be onerous, or stop you from cracking on and being profitable.
I'd bet that you are not reinventing the wheel on a regular basis, and that most of what you do is run-of-the-mill. So, your RAs etc will be fairly standard, and applicable to most of your jobs.
In the days of the internet, you can probably filch most of it anyway, so you don't even have to write it (just actually read it, make sure it corresponds with your job, and make sure the lads understand it).
The hse website is a decent source of information, and of resources.

Sponsored Links
Back