Homes under the hammer

L

longdogs

I have been watching this programme on and off for some time now as I am interested in watching house refurbishments. But are these programmes really for real?

A typical story is: 'I bought the house, had to replace all the floor joists, fitted a new boiler, replaced the bathroom and kitchen, knocked a couple of walls down, re-plastered every room, had a re-wire, new windows and decorated.

total cost 20K

I can see that they often use inferior fixtures and fittings and sometimes do most of the work themselves but surely they would have trouble selling the property without certificates etc. Solicitors are so hot these days on certificates and guarantees when doing conveyancing.

Sponsored Links
I don't believe any of the values and prices they quote. A friend of mine was invited to value a house in Bristol after it got the Sarah Beeny treatment a few years ago. The production people took him to one side and said his valuation was under and did he want to have another look. He double checked and was certain his value was right. They pressurised him for about an hour and basically implied he would look a bit foolish compared to the other valuers. In fact he discovered afterwards that the other valuers were pressured to up their values as well. In other words they were trying to make out the so-called developers were making more profit than they actually were. And that's after they had uncle Fred fit the heating and plumbing for next to nothing plus the army of cleaner uppers and wallpaper strippers that seem to work for nothing. If those people had to operate in the commercial world most of them wouldn't make a bean.

I don't believe any of the values and prices they quote. A friend of mine was invited to value a house in Bristol after it got the Sarah Beeny treatment a few years ago. The production people took him to one side and said his valuation was under and did he want to have another look. He double checked and was certain his value was right. They pressurised him for about an hour and basically implied he would look a bit foolish compared to the other valuers. In fact he discovered afterwards that the other valuers were pressured to up their values as well. In other words they were trying to make out the so-called developers were making more profit than they actually were. And that's after they had uncle Fred fit the heating and plumbing for next to nothing plus the army of cleaner uppers and wallpaper strippers that seem to work for nothing. If those people had to operate in the commercial world most of them wouldn't make a bean.

Interesting. That sort of concludes what I was thinking. It seem the game they play on HUTH is to pretend they did all the work for as little as possible then sold for as much as possible.

Same as Wheeler Dealers on Quest.

Buy a "classic" car (old Quattro, Allegro, Defender etc) for a few K.
Edd China finds all the stuff wrong with it.
Mike buys the bits.
Edd puts it back together.

Purchase price plus
cost of parts equals "What the car owes us".

"We've made £500!" doesn't factor in any of the labour Edd puts in (which might be a week, if he has to rub down and prep the bodywork).

Sponsored Links

Mike buys the bits.

Purchase price plus

"We've made £500!" doesn't factor in any of the labour Edd puts in (which might be a week, if he has to rub down and prep the bodywork).

Ha ha yes. I have always thought that about WD. The work Ed does would cost any normal person a fortune.

We know Ed doesn't do everything himself but I wouldn't mind betting he gets a lot more help than appears.

We know Ed doesn't do everything himself but I wouldn't mind betting he gets a lot more help than appears.

But the elephant in the room is the largest cost (labour) is never accounted for.

(I wouldn't mind buying one of the cars they've fettled though - bargain!)

Agreed. I was really meaning it's not just Ed's costs but probably a couple of others as well.

It's the same with the C4 programme 'For The Love Of Cars', on Sun nights with Philip Glenister. The Beetle they did last week sold for £14K, which they gave to the car's owner. In the programme, they said it took 1,000 hours of labour, which even at £20 p.h. would be £20K. Add on all the new parts, materials, respray, etc, etc, etc. Would have been cheaper to crush the thing as they're not exactly rare, and give the owner a fat cheque.

But then, they need to make TV programmes, and make them interesting to watch. So they have to spice up a potentially tedious subject to make good viewing.

Yes love the landlords that have put in double glazing and a new boiler that claim it was about 5 grand! Methinks the windows and boiler came out of an empty property a few streets away!

Yes love the landlords that have put in double glazing and a new boiler that claim it was about 5 grand! Methinks the windows and boiler came out of an empty property a few streets away!

Yes probably and I bet they buy the kitchens from DIYnot spammers in Singapore. :LOL:

Mike buys the bits.

Purchase price plus

What a Div Mike Brewer is. He bangs on about being a wheeler dealer and that he likes to drive a hard bargain, then accepts a cr*p offer.

I do like the programme though.

Good thing is that a lot of these programmes, especially Wheeler Dealers, are educational. Have learnt a few tips from Ed China over the years. Not many programmes that you can say that about. As a confirmed anorak, any programme about oily bits and old cars is essential viewing. Another great programme was The Garage. If you can see past the horsing around, it was also quite informative.

Good thing is that a lot of these programmes, especially Wheeler Dealers, are educational. Have learnt a few tips from Ed China over the years. Not many programmes that you can say that about. As a confirmed anorak, any programme about oily bits and old cars is essential viewing. Another great programme was The Garage. If you can see past the horsing around, it was also quite informative.

Yes - I'd love to have a well stocked workshop, an old car, and the time to make it pukka. I imagine it would be very therapeutic.

Yes - I'd love to have a well stocked workshop, an old car, and the time to make it pukka. I imagine it would be very therapeutic.

I restored several cars years ago, before I was lumbered with 'Er Indoors. Wouldn't have the time (or freedom) these days. I'm gradually making the garage bigger and more comfortable so that I can do the odd project when/if I eventually retire. As long as you can close the door on it when you've had enough and go back when you're ready, yes, very therapeutic and satisfying.

Sponsored Links
Back