Honeywell V4073A Valve and 3 way port

The pump may be working, but not very well... keep that in mind tomorrow.

Your cylinder needs to have another valve between your diverter valve and the cylinder. It is a safety shut off.

One was supplied with the cylinder, so there isn't an excuse for the installer not to have fitted it.

Sponsored Links
After an hour or so last night there was scalding water reaching the cylinder from the T valve and also leaving the other side of it (presumably to the central heating). The nearest rad had some warmth at the bottom near the inlet but no more than that.

I have now closed all rads except one (which I have bled) and await what happens (or doesn't I fear!)

Sponsored Links
Now very confused.

The rad I left on didn't get any heat at all.

I opened, and then bled, all of them with the same result.

I then opened the drain plug at the bottom of one and, after 2/3 of a basin of water came out, it started flowing hot.

I closed the drain plug and the flow of hot water stopped.

I then checked the thermostat (which has been set at 30 deg through all of this).

When I turn it below 21 deg the hot water pump stops and, when I turn it back up above 21 deg the pumps recommences.

What on earth is it?

Can anyone recommend (or are any of you) a reliable plumber in Chester please? :(

OK, Last question, I think.

Given everything else appears to be working I am now thinking that Dan Robinson may have hit the nail on the head.

There is definitely very hot water flowing to the hot water cylinder and through the other side of the T valve.

Gravity may well be responsible for hot water coming out of the radiator drain plug and, on the basis of the syphon principal, this could explain water going either side of the valve.

Why are the blades in the pump turning though and why does the speed change when I alter the speed on the switch? If there is a pump in the boiler itself, sending water to the pump in the airing cupboard then this is supplying the flow and the pump in the airing cupboard is U/S or in the best case, inefficient

Could this be the case?

the pump speed will change when you turn the speed selector switch - it is what it does :LOL:

what boiler do you have again? If it has a pump inside them it might not be happy with a separate system pump.

A dying pump can appear to work perfectly yet not have the strength to perform... had this with a boiler's internal pump recently. Poor boiler didn't know what to do with itself.

We still need to ascertain where your cylinder's two-port valve is. I can foresee a couple of instances where that could be causing problems too.

Thanks

I have arranged for a new pump to be fitted on Monday.

re the 2 way valve - I'll ask the plumber who comes to change the pump. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

I appreciate your comment re instances where the lack of one may cause problems but it worked perfectly well until this week.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back