Hoover AM110 won't spin and occasionally leak!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had some problems with my w/m as follows:
1. a couple of months ago I noticed some water leaking through the front right (near leg area). Water was visible on the floor tiles but could not trace it when I opened the back of the w/m. I also noticed white residue marks on the paper cover at the bottom; near the front bottom right (detergent drawer side).
2. 10 days ago the w/m would not spin at all, not even to wash. Called GIAS, the engineer changed the motor but after 4-5 washes had the same symptoms; the engineer came again and changed the motor again!
3. Had another 3 washes but the w/m will not do the final spin. When I turned the program dial a full circle to the same position it did spin the clothes, but it did not feel or sound as normal, as if it was spinning at 800 and not 1100. This time though there was water leaking as in 1 above. In the first of the 3 washes the machine did not use the softener!

We are calling the engineer tomorrow again but I would appreciate a second opinion; is it time to get another one (had this one for 4yrs +) or is it a case the engineer did not find the cause of the problem yet?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ok, the motor seems to have been fixed now. The engineer changed the module and we have had three washes with no problems :D .

Back to the leak know, the engineer could not see anything but I managed to find the point of leak. It is the hose that connects the detergent drawer with the drum. It leaks at the point where it connects to the drum.

I took it out and could not see any holes or wear and tear. I noticed a gray substance though at the bootom of the rubber hose. Is it possible that they used some kind of sealant/glue for the hose to connect to the drum that has come of with use? I can put it back on but if I were to use a sealant shall I call GIAS and ask them or is there a standard product I can use?

Any ideas much appreciated.

where i used to work, when changing either the soap dispenser to drum tube or the whole outer drum, we never used any sealant at all, just one large cable tie (honest) never had one leak

also used to use them for the outer drum to pump tube, too, and did also use two

Sponsored Links
There is a tie at the detergent drawer end but nothing on the drum side. Don't understand why it should leak as the water flows downwards. Unless there is a hole I didn't see or the water does not flow into the drum properly (I haven't noticed any excessive amount of water in the wash), and it only leaks a few drops of water...

Where it joins on the drum side the drum openning is not raised or recessed and the hose itself has a groove at the end sandwitched by two raised rings, and the whole thing seems to fix into the drum! There are metal ties all over the rest of the washing machine but I could not see find or feel one for the this one :confused:

can you not fit one?

if not, we also used genuine silicone sealant too, but only for front plate seals

On the drum end there is nothing to tie around :!: . Is using a sealant completely out of the question :?:

What is a front plate seal ?

a front plate seal is the seal on the front plate (literaly) hp m/c have a plastic outer drum, everyhting goes in via the front so the front plate has a seal.

the older m/c had a vitreoues enamel outer drum, and everything went in through the back, only used silicone on one of them, never again.

I am not familiar with your make of m/c so if you can silicone it it must be worth a try, but let it set before you use m/c

if you click here you can see inside my hp m/c

Sounds like mine m/c . It also has an outer plastic cover for the drum and the hose from the soap dispenser connects to the front of it. It seems that hp and hoover might be quite similar! Anyway, the rubber hose supposingly seals onto the plastic drum but not that well. A friend of mine suggested using the same sealant as in air conditioning systems which should be resistent to humidity and heat. I came across the brand Sikaflex, does it ring any bells?

Anyway I will give it a try and it should be ok (will make sure I clean and dry the surfaces and let the sealant dry for a good 24hrs before anything) :)

we were issued with "ordainairy" genuine silicone sealant, only difference was it was it looke like a tube of toothpaste (same size)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back