Hoover plug keeps getting a tug

vacuum cleaners usually have a heavy duty, round two core cable, there really shouldn't be any need to shim the flex - the cord grip should grip it! :)
Really?

Have you looked at the very skinny 0.75mm² flex (maybe even 0.5mm² since the EU power limit) on the average cleaner these days.

Sponsored Links
Really?

Have you looked at the very skinny 0.75mm² flex (maybe even 0.5mm² since the EU power limit) on the average cleaner these days.
I think you are taking umbrage at the 'Heavy Duty'? :)

Perhaps I shouldn't have said that, but by their nature, a round two core flex has far more abrasion resistance than a flat one.
So even with a 0.75mm² (or .5) cable, the round one will be 'heavy duty' compared to what would usually be provided with a double insulated appliance.

...and from the picture, the OPs cable is definitely round.

I alway use a curly extension lead, such as this, for portable appliances, to avoid stress on the plug and socket.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Put a wrap of red tape around tge cable just before its fully unwound. Then in future you will have a warning not to keep on pulling.

Sponsored Links
If the cable is trimmed to length, then if it did pull out, the machine would stop. So clearly not made off correctly in the first place. I do prefer a grommet to increase the curve under strain 1682769950873.pngbut be it a air volatility cleaner or a lawn mower having a pair of these 1682770143243.pngmeans any tug on the cable and it auto disconnects safely, as long as the outer is not screwed in these 1682770367756.pngdo the same, or these 1682770754420.pngthere was a rubber version for use outside, but I think technically not permitted to have cable out in this way! But the worry is if the cable can't pull out, what happens to the socket?

Wind up thread otherwise a pic of plugs inside would have been uploaded. Also modern vacuums have moulded plugs don't they?

Blup

I think you are taking umbrage at the 'Heavy Duty'? :)

Perhaps I shouldn't have said that, but by their nature, a round two core flex has far more abrasion resistance than a flat one.

So even with a 0.75mm² (or .5) cable, the round one will be 'heavy duty' compared to what would usually be provided with a double insulated appliance.

...and from the picture, the OPs cable is definitely round.
I don't think I can agree, I've been handling long lengths of 2 core flex (I have stock of maybe 10Km for hire purposes), in round, oval and fig8, for years and struggle to to make an observation that any of them are particularly more resistant to damage. The difference is; any damage is more likely expose copper on a thinner cable. However ANY damage, regardless of whether it's causing a problem, needs to be repaired/replaced.

Wind up thread otherwise a pic of plugs inside would have been uploaded. Also modern vacuums have moulded plugs don't they?

Blup
Until they get abused and replaced;)

If the cable is trimmed to length, then if it did pull out, the machine would stop. So clearly not made off correctly in the first place.
I have to come in on this. If the conductors are made off securely and constant tugging occurs to the point the cable clamp fails to hold, I'd expect the continued tugging to pull the wires meaning they will either stretch or simply allow the sheath to 'shrink back'.

I've just done a simple test with ~1.5m of 3core 1.0mm² (removed from a washing machine) and easily pulled 50mm of wires from the sheath by hand.

AND this thread has prompted me to repair an extension lead which I didn't use on Sunday as it had done the same thing.

I have to come in on this. If the conductors are made off securely and constant tugging occurs to the point the cable clamp fails to hold, I'd expect the continued tugging to pull the wires meaning they will either stretch or simply allow the sheath to 'shrink back'.
Possibly but

Blup
Seems likely.

I do have a problem with vacuum clearer flex, it is never unplugged after use, so is a trip hazard, the in line plug and socket is a good safety feature as it will tend to unplug rather that trip some one up.

Until they get abused and replaced;)
The OP is abusing the machine, pulling the hoover until the cord stops it. Usually this will pull the plug from the socket, if done continually the face plate of the socket will crack or even break. But for a properly fitted flex to come loose there has to be systematic misuse by the user, who it seems hasn't learnt from their errors. One solution is to fit a longer length of cord according to the working radius needed.

Blup

Which part of the cable are you using the cable clamp on?
Are you clamping onto the black outer sheath, or onto the blue and brown cables?

MK plugs have plastic slide-in cord grips...
View attachment 302089
But the cable really shouldn't be able to come out of the screw down clip in your plug, as long as it is undamaged and properly tightened.

Can you show us a pic of how it is wired inside?
I have the cable clamp on the outer sheath and as I said, it has slipped out of here in the past. I have now re-made the plug and will let you know if it reoccurs

...although this thread is from a poster who has been 'practicing' installing a consumer unit:

I think we should be able to expect a little more, in this case! ;)
It's usually the simpler things that trip us up :)
A found this to be an annoying problem and knew that there would be some good suggestions on here - as is always the case -and I wasn't disappointed. Definitely not a wind-up as someone was suggesting. I am grateful for all the support I get on this forum.

The OP is abusing the machine, pulling the hoover until the cord stops it. Usually this will pull the plug from the socket, if done continually the face plate of the socket will crack or even break. But for a properly fitted flex to come loose there has to be systematic misuse by the user, who it seems hasn't learnt from their errors. One solution is to fit a longer length of cord according to the working radius needed.

Blup
Why could it not be a faulty cable clamp?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back