hoover ppw166 issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got an issue with me washing machine, its a hoover ppw166 and it has the following fault, the start and pre wash lights flash, cant seem to get it to do anything :confused:

Sponsored Links
The flashing lights are an error code....they are trying to say "I am broken".
The number of flashes between pauses give an indication of what the fault may be....Is there a pattern???

hi, yes, both lights flash 5 times then a pause, 5 times then a pause, keeps repeating.

Check the heater NTC sensor (it is either mounted on the heater element itself or in the back of the tub just above the element).
It should measure 20k Ω at room temp, dropping to around 2k Ω at 85C.
If the NTC is checks out ok then it is either a break in wiring or a pcb fault.

Sponsored Links
is this it?

IMG_20120131_194241.jpg

if it is the above pic

room temp around 20k, in hot water (out the kettle but not boiling) around 9k

Yes that is it.
They are cheap...change it & see if that solves the problem.

a little update.

if i hold the start button whilst turning the dial to select a program type it will partially fill with water then stop, i did this 3 or 4 times and manage to get it full, i then did it again when full and the drum spinned, not just a normal spin but as if it was doing a rinse (full speed), does this point to anything?

i should have mentioned this (memory's not the greatest ), for about a month maybe 2 the fuse/relay in our electricity mains thingy has tripped when the washers been on, it hasn't done it often 2-3 times maybe in 2 months, we're not sure if its the washer but it has always been on when its happened, but so has the fridge etc.

ok thanks, ive found either the cause - or a problem caused by the cause.

looking at the board i saw a black sooty mark around some diodes so checked the back of the board

FILE0018.jpg

FILE0014.jpg

FILE0016.jpg

so im positive thats why its not working, but what caused this? could an earth leak do this? dont want to buy another board to have the same happen again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back