hope you can help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope I can get some guildance on a question that I'm not 100% sure on

The meaured resistance value of a short length of 2.5 sq. mm conductor would be?

a. infinity
b. in the M resistance range
c. very low ohms
D. zero volts

I put C but I was hoping someone could explain it for me thanks

Sponsored Links
Answer C is correct.

a. infinity
Infinity is an open circuit.

Presumably that's meant to be megohms. A short length (or even a very long length) of 2.5 sq. mm copper conductor is not going to have a resistance in the megohm range.

D. zero volts
The "red herring" answer, in a way, since of course volts are the unit used to measure voltage, not resistance.

Sponsored Links
Jeepers - I hope that's not a sparky student!
I fear it may be.

The new academic year started a few weeks ago.

123 - if you are a student, and you are being asked questions which you do not understand, or to which you do not know the answers, then coming here to ask other people to answer them for you is not on.

Not only is it dishonest, but it also gives your tutors a false impression of your progress.

If you are struggling, and need them to explain things differently, or again, or better, then they need to know that, which they won't if you mask it by presenting other people's answers as your own.

I realise that in this case you didn't actually ask for an answer, but the same principle applies - if you don't know why the measured resistance value of a short length of 2.5 sq. mm conductor would not be 0v, or ∞, or in the MΩ range then they need to know that. Pretending to them that you understand will only ever lead to you crashing and burning.

Hi hope I can get some guildance on a question that I'm not 100% sure on

The meaured resistance value of a short length of 2.5 sq. mm conductor would be?

a. infinity
c. very low ohms
D. zero volts

I put C but I was hoping someone could explain it for me thanks

When measuring resistance, using low reading ohm meter. That is what you are generally looking for a low reading.
A calculated reading of 7.41 mΩ/m (milliohms per metre) is given in the OSG.
If you measured end to end continuity of any of the conductors on a 2.5mm t&e cable over the distance of say one meter. The reading I would expect is somewhere very close to zero, you would also expect over a longer distance that the CPC would measure slightly higher due to the fact it's CSA is smaller than the live conductors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back