Horrible Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bedroom has developed a disgusting smell. We've tried to find the source but can't. The bedroom is a converted basement. We've lived here for over a year now and about a fortnight ago, a disgusting smell appeared from nowhere. We initially thought it was down to our cat!!! We've searched the whole room and found nothing. It is really difficult to pintpoint exactly where it is coming from, however, it appears to be coming from the ceiling. We've looked upstairs at the floor and can't find anything there either. I write in desparation for some advice on how to trace this.

Sponsored Links
What is the location of your bathroom? It sounds possible that the foul drainage pipe from your toilet could travel under the floor upstairs and to the outside wall. Inspection will be necessary by lifting the floorboards to check the pipe condition. Hopefully, you won't find any dead bodies when you do this. Clothes pegs might be a solution!

I had a neighbour who took advice re a rat in his attic. He killed it by poison but the dead rat did pong!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back