Horstmann C27 temporary "by-pass" fix-help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
C27 has definitely gone..a new one has been ordered but we may have to wait a few days given Xmas post etc. Its pretty cool in the house!

Saw an old thread about this programmer which included how to temporarily by-pass the internal switch in the programmer (just for a few days til the new one arrives) ...one poster ChrisR suggested:

"You could use wire to connect the appropriate pins oin the backplate to bring the CH/HW on pro tem. I have one here - connect L to 3 and 4

So you just whip the front (business-end) off the backplate, note/mark which are the slots on the backplate for pins 3 and 4 on the programmer and join them with wire?

what sort of wire please?...could you use a pair of mini-insulated-crocodile clips?

You leave the front panel off yes? I only need CH from the boiler as hot water can be got via immersion heater
any other advice gratefully received..thanks for reading.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=134584#134584#ixzz2Ef7lNxxh"

Sponsored Links
Isolate the power, remove programmer and look on back of it, that will tell which terminal does what-ie-3=hw on-Get a small length of core(the 3 smaller wires inside) from a normal wire for 3A appliances(any flex off a lamp etc) and put 1 end into L terminal on backplate and other end into ch on and anokther into hw on from ch on(i think it 3&4 but it will say on rear of programmer), replace front and turn power on.

To get the wire snip a bit of flex of any household appliance, strip open and take 1 core(with insulation on), cut to length and strip the ends.

Above all work safely and ensure all electrical work is done dead or it may be you that ends up...

No dont leave front off, it will be alot safer to put front back on and pointless to leave it off.

From left to right terminals are neutral live 1 2 3 4 1mm2 lighting cable will do single strand a bit bared both ends

Sponsored Links
thanks everyone ..most helpful.

The power supply to the programmer is from a standard 3-pin fused plug (into a single dedicated socket ..out of sight in the nearby airing cupboard)..so no worries there ..the plug will be out and on the floor!

As I only need CH.. just one piece of wire then... between live and 4. ..then the frontplate is re-attached for safety reasons.

I have found the Horstmann installation guide..it's here..for anybody else:

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/downloads/ElectronicDocuments/Central-Heating/C21-InstallerGuide.pdf

of the numbered pins - 1 is HW off, 2 is CH off, 3 is HW on& 4 is CH on.

much appreciated[/url]

If you have not ordered already check plumbcentre out as they have some of this horstman range on offer

thanks for the info gas112..have already ordered..paid £26 delivered..will have a look anyway.

Ebay trader but I think (?!) ok....has a good rep anyway!

Where does one stand when buying new (blister packed..unopened/genuine) parts off Ebay in a private auction with an individual? (I think Horstmann do a 2 year warranty) IF it turns out the unit was manufactured..say..6 years ago & has been on a shelf for the duration!??.

My purchase on Friday last was from an Ebay shop..not a private auction..does warranty still hold if it turns out to be stock that was bought up from a bankruptcy for e.g...and the manufacture date was (let's say) 2007?

Why do these programmers etc fail..resistor/capacitor failure?..a 2p Chinese component? (no disrespect he added quickly)..can the front end be repaired? (maybe a very silly question!!)

I put in the boiler (28 sec. oil-fired) in 1987..British made in Shropshire by Mistral. One new Riello (yes Italian!) burner unit fitted about 8 years ago when the bearings on the original gave out..still runs sweet as a nut (hope that's not tempting fate...note to self..it probably is..its Winter!)

Original programmer was a Honeywell..when it failed after 20 years it was so old I could not replace like for like so went for a Horstmann..the first one lasted about 5 years ..its replacement cost £8.50 delivered.. in a private Ebay auction..that was in April this year!! I don't know the manufacture date!!

Are Horstmann programmers "crap"?..as someone so eloquently put it on another website?.p.s. I know that generally you get what you pay for.

As the programmer is run from a socket (ie plug/socket) would putting a surge-protector in-line be a good move?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back