Hortsmann Economy 7 Quartz timer - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved into a new house with storage heating (I know how to work this) and immersion heating system, which is controlled by a Hortsmann Economy 7 box. I assume that my hot water is heated during the night at the off peak tarrif, however, I am not sure?
There is a switch on the box which says "timer" and when I push this down, the off peak neon light should come on. I turned it on around 4pm last night (light did not illuminate) but thought it would come on during the off peak night time (12midnight to 7am). When I went into the house at 2pm today the neon light was on??? Does this mean that my hot water has been charging during the day time right instead of night? I also checked my meter readings and in less than 24 hours I have used over £5 (majority being on the peak rate.

Can anyone help me please? I dont want my bills to be expensive and only want to heat the water during off peak.

Thanks in advance.
Karen

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have no idea. Its set on Winter dial? I only want to heat the water during the night off peak.

Sponsored Links
I'm not in the house just now, but my partner is away to check what the dial is at right now. I shall let you know.

I appreciate your help.

Right now the dial (outer circle) is set at 2pm but I'm assuming this should be set to the current time, ie 8pm? Will that mean that if I set the dial to the correct time and switch the timer on, it will only heat the water on off peak?
Thanks.

Yes the timer needs to be set at correct time.
20.15 not 8.15 as this is a 24 hour clock. Easy mistake to make. ;)

As you turn the timer round you'll feel it click at 2 seperate times.
these are the times the off peak will come on/off.
they can be altered inside by yourself if they are not correct.

Phew! Hopefully that sorts it out. I also read on the instructions that the battery will run on stand by for up to 6 days and we havent used the water in over 6 days, so this is probably why we had to re-set the clock.

Thanks again as its very expensive to run during the day.
Karen

It don't matter if you haven't used the hw.

The unit is wired direct to the mains elecy the 6 day battery back up is only if you have a mains elecy power cut, the time dial will keep running for up to 6 days providing the battery isn't knackered.

If you don't use the hw water it don't matter it's powered by the mains elecy.

Back up is only for purpose of power cuts etc.

We had the hot water switch (timer) turned off for several days - does this affect the clock?

Turned off where at the mains/fuse box ?

or do you mean the off/timed switch on front cover ?

Not at the mains fuse box, just at the Hortsmann box.
I think the previous owners must have had the timer set to during the day, as the clock timer was way off?

No that won't make any difference as long as the mains/fuse isn't isolated.

Are you running 1 or 2 immersion elements from the unit ?

Forgive me as I this is all new to me. Unfortunately I have no idea how many units are running, if its just 1 or 2? How do you tell?

Follow the cables to the hw cylinder.
You'll either have a cable going to the bottom and one to the top (2 elements) or just one cable (1 element).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back