Hot/Cool/Cold rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a brand new vertical rad (several flat strips running 4 ft up the wall) I know similar things have been covered before but this one has me stumped :confused: so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The top 1/3 of the rad and the whole strip on one side (opp side to trv) gets hot but the other lower corner stays cool/cold. The rad has been bled and the house system has been balanced as all other rads work lovely.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Some of these types of rads can only flow one way. Can you check the installation instructions or contact the manufacturer?

Hi, don't remember reading it's a one way only but will check. I know the TRV is bi-directional so it's not that.

Will let you know, many thanks. :)

Just a quick note to say thanks. The rad has a baffle/diverter in one end and I indeed had it the wrong way round. A warm lounge at last.

Ch :D eers

Sponsored Links
GassyG

could you post the make/ model of vert rad and where bought from

might help other people if they do a search

cheers

Hi folks,

It was a Venezia radiator from homebase. There was no indication either by tag or marking to say which way up the radiator goes. It looks like it can go either way up so I just installed the fittings and wall mounted it.

Turns out that in the middle of one of the horizontal pipes there is a baffle that diverts the water up to the top from the inlet (TRV) and the water then flows over to the other side of the rad and down to the outlet. This makes the "circuit". I installed it with the baffle at the top which prevents the flow travelling over.

The way to check is to slide a thin metal/wooden rod right through the horizontal pipe. If it goes all the way though then that is the TOP end. If it doesn't, you're hitting the baffle and that goes at the bottom.

Hope this helps. :)

Hi folks,

It was a Venezia radiator from homebase. There was no indication either by tag or marking to say which way up the radiator goes. It looks like it can go either way up so I just installed the fittings and wall mounted it.

Turns out that in the middle of one of the horizontal pipes there is a baffle that diverts the water up to the top from the inlet (TRV) and the water then flows over to the other side of the rad and down to the outlet. This makes the "circuit". I installed it with the baffle at the top which prevents the flow travelling over.

The way to check is to slide a thin metal/wooden rod right through the horizontal pipe. If it goes all the way though then that is the TOP end. If it doesn't, you're hitting the baffle and that goes at the bottom.

Hope this helps. :)

Absolutely brilliant coincidence.....plumber here today installing this radiator and we were puzzling about which way up it went..saved us a lot of bother finding this! Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back