hot point wmf740 washing machine and it keeps tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hot point wmf740 washing machine and it keeps intermittently tripping my circuit breaker. Its not the circuit as that has been tested. I have opened to back to see if there are any wires or springs that are worn or have come loose or getting caught and there is not, there is also no signs of water leakage at all. I have narrowed it to the motor as just before the circuit trip there is a rubbery/plastic smell then there's a flash from the motor location then trips the circuit. Again there's no external signs of damage, burning, melting, cables caught or frayed ect.
I dont understand as the motor works fine then with no pattern there's a flash and it stops.
Also i dont understand were the burning rubbery smell is coming from as the belt looks fine.
Has any body got any ideas and is this a simple fix.
Im a Much appreciated newbie. :unsure:

Sponsored Links
I think you're going to need a sparky for this one, some consumer units have a split board, one side not being as sensitive, i know my limitations and myself get the afore mentioned sparky in to check it out.

Sponsored Links
I have a hot point wmf740 washing machine and it keeps intermittently tripping my circuit breaker. Its not the circuit as that has been tested. I have opened to back to see if there are any wires or springs that are worn or have come loose or getting caught and there is not, there is also no signs of water leakage at all. I have narrowed it to the motor as just before the circuit trip there is a rubbery/plastic smell then there's a flash from the motor location then trips the circuit. Again there's no external signs of damage, burning, melting, cables caught or frayed ect.
I dont understand as the motor works fine then with no pattern there's a flash and it stops.
Also i dont understand were the burning rubbery smell is coming from as the belt looks fine.
Has any body got any ideas and is this a simple fix.
Im a Much appreciated newbie. :unsure:

I had exactly the same problem with my WMF740 a few months ago...

//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/consumer-unit-keeps-tripping.319936/#2364130

Kept tripping the circuit breaker when the motor kicked in, with the advice from the electrics forum i plugged it into a different socket via an extension and it never tripped, obviously i couldn't leave it like that so plugged it back into its own socket a few days later and it stopped tripping, never did get to the bottom of it, looks like it might be a washer problem then?

If you feel competent at unpluging the multiplug to the motor and removing it then get a small dry paint brush, (1/2" is best) and brush all the black dust that has probably accumulated around the commutator end. This is the end where you can see the split copper bars. After brushing blow the dirt away with a bicycle pump or if you have a vacuum with a small nozzle use this to suck the dust up. Try not to breath it in as it is carbon dust from the brushes and leaves a horrible taste in your throat. Next, gently prise the brush boxes out slightly, there is usually a small tab that you have to press down and slide the box outwards. Do not slide it out so far that the brush comes right out of the holder. If, as you slide it out, the brush moves away from the surface of the commutator then they need to be replaced. Cost of a new set is about £10 Follow the instructions on the packet carefully, do not lift the release tab until the brushes are slotted home fully.
If you don't feel competent at doing any of these tasks then, as stated, get a repairman in. Don't get a normal spark, you need an appliance engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back