hot water and shower problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i dont know where to start. I had some plumbing work done recently by so called building company. Ive had a grant vortex condensing boiler fitted and all is going well. The problem started with the shower that was also installed. They fitted a grundfos watermill 2.0 bar pump for a powershower just behind the airing cupboard approx 1ft away from the hot water storage tank and it was fitted at the base. Anyway the shower never worked properly. The shower pump loses pressure and squeals like a dead cat and its been in a few months now so ive decided to investigate the problem. Looking at the installation instructions they didnt fit a surrey flange. Ive fitted one now and taken a feed straight to the pump from it. This hasnt helped. I think the pump is beat now cause the manufactures instructions state the hot water must not exceed 65 degrees. I looked at my hot water storage tank and there are no thermostat fitted to it or motorised valves. There are no room thermostat either to control the heating system for the central heating. So the only way the hot water temp is controlled is at the boiler thermostat. To make matters worse the thermostat at the boiler has a dial with no numbers just an increasing arrow as you increase temperature. So ive no idea what temp the water is actually sitting at on the system. The second problem is that they have teed off the cold water coming from the cold water storage tank in the loft to the cold feed to the shower pump. Im going to have a go at rectifying this myself so my plan was to first of all replace the pump. Ive purchased a secondhand salamander esp 100 positive and negative head pump. I was then going to drain the header tank in the loft and take a dedicated cold water feed straight to the pump inlet cold feed. Im unsure what to do with the hot water feed to the pump from the hot water storage tank. I have the surrey flange already installed but im worried about the temperature of the water going to the pump as salamander also recommend that water temp not exceed 65 degrees. So i was thinking of installing im not sure what they are called but they are like a gate valve with a temp gauge that you can control the water temp that passes through. I was thinking of fitting one of those before entering the hot water inlet to the pump. I dont know if this is the best approach to fix this problem and would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance Jim.

Sponsored Links
You are heading in the right direction, but the question has to be begged why don't you get the cowboys to come back and do the job properly and pay for pump replacement too. don't try installing pump and running it until you have fitted a cylinder thermostat and motorised vale to the hot water circuit and heating circuit. And a programmable wireless room stat which can go in any room as long as that room has trv fully open on the rad. If your boiler is gravity hot water and pumped heating then forget all the modifications I just mentioned.

oh you've confused me now peter. i think my system is gravity hot water pumped central heating. Why would i not be able to proceed with the modifications you have mentioned?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back