hot water, but no central heating.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
halstead quattro gold combi - hot water fine, when central heating is switched on it runs about 30 seconds before the automatic air pressure vent starts steaming away and all pipes surrounding get very hot.

The safety then cuts the system off, seems like water is not getting past the heat exchanger ? but we have hot water so cant be ?

Any ideas - diverter valve ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
could be pump
not all combis use pump when on hw
not sure about yours

thanks for the info

checked the pump and was whirring around - screwdriver would not halt

any other ideas ?

thanks

check divertor valve spindle (look at disc part which operates microswitches)
spindle should fully retract into divertor valve when no demand on hot taps
if it doesnt overhaul or replace dv

Sponsored Links
Thanks - never thought of this.

Do I need to isolate before playing with the diverter valve ?

Thanks

Isolate what - what sort of playing...? You can SEE the shaft operating.

Symptoms are rather like those I describe in a problem I had with a Halstead boiler in answering someone else's query. Text is reproduced below. Please adjust for your context.

"I had this problem with a Halstead a while ago. This boiler had a low-capacity heat exchanger (this is design, not a fault) that required a good flow of water through it. Pumping the water round the whole central heating system was too slow for it; the water in the heat exchanger reached close to boiling and then tripped out necessitating manual intervention to restart.

Basically, this boiler would work OK if enough water moved through the heat exchanger so it could heat it up and the pump could move it on before it got too hot. When the incoming water (return) was at a high enough temperature, the heat exchanger would turn off, the pump would still circulate the water and when the return temperature was low enough, the heat exchanger would start up again.
All this has to happen at a temperature below that when the safety over-heat cut-out operates. If the water flow is too low, the safety cut-out works quicker than the heat-exchanger turn-off (and so it should!) and the boiler shuts down.

Solution (from the Halstead documentation) was to insert a bypass connecting the boiler flow to the boiler return. There was a control cock in the bypass allowing adjustment to the flow that was allowed to bypass. I placed the bypass next to the motorised valve (between boiler and valve) which was adjacent to the hot water tank and in pipe length, about 3 meters from the boiler, which happened to have the pump next to it. Radiators started to connect to the flow/return after this 3 metre point.

Result was that the pump could move enough water through the heat exchanger to allow it to heat up the water and move it on before the overheat tripped. Not all of the water took the bypass route so the rads still heated up in the normal way - they might have taken 5 minutes longer.

It would be good practice also to ensure that the control system is configured to make the pump over-run (i.e. continue running for a minute or two after the heat exchanger decides it wants to stop heating for a while).

Possible alternatives: fit a new, more powerful pump that keeps enough water circulating and avoids the problem; do a drain/flush - how much sludge do you have in the system that might be slowing down the flow."

Hope this helps.......

Peter

Peter

Thanks for the very informative reply, this makes very good sense and never imagined it could happen with todays new boliers.

Before I attempt, just answer me one thing > the CH flow and pressure pipe are HOT but the return CH flow is only at best luke warm does this indicate a blockage somewhere rather than your run rate suggestion ?

Let me know - much appreciated - thanks.

I don't know.
Blockage (or partial blockage would be a better term since you are getting some circulation) are related as the run rate would be reduced if there was any impediment to the flow.

Check the Halstead documentation/instructions. The placement of and need for the bypass was covered there when I installed one (about 4 years ago).

In my other posting, someone has suggested increasing the pump speed, if you have a multi-speed pump. This might help, if there is not too much impediment to the flow even at the higher speed. It helps diagnosis if it works, but takes you no further forward if it doesn't.

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back