hot water coming out cold water taps

Sponsored Links
Thanks Everyone.
The tank in the attic is thankfully not above the bedroom and we spotted the problem pretty quickly. I've been up there and had a look about the tank and it all seems unaffected however I will get it checked out properly.

Yes I did change the 'strap on' thermostat and didn't realise there was two.

I've had a look and have spotted this thermostat, it's, as you say, at the top of the tank, round (like a small can of beans!) and says thermostat on top of it (once I cleared the dust away).

How do I remove this, do I twist? there is a small bolt on top of it, do I need to remove this first?

Lastly, once I begin removing this thermostat will there be water leakage and if so I was precautions do I need to take?

First, isolate the power to the immersion heater by removing the fuse or switching off the MCB in the CU / fuse box.

Removing the screw should release the 'bean can' cover on top of the immersion heater.
The live connection of the power lead is connected to one side of the thermostat, and a link wire to the heater element is connected to the other side.

Remove the two wires, and the thermostat should simply pull out of it's pocket in the immersion heater body with no need to drain any water, and no water leaks.

Modern replacement thermostats incorporate an overheat cutout that cuts the power to the heater if the thermostat fails and the water cylinder overheats.

Apologies, this but the device I was describing does not say thermostat on it, it says:

ThermaTec LTD
Immersion Heater
3kW - 240v
CE

It has a big thick white wire going into it. Here is a picture of it:

http://s659.photobucket.com/albums/uu312/avarils/

It has an (approximately) 8mm nut on the top.

It's really the only device sticking out of the tank so it must be the thermostat?

I'll isolate the power and proceed with TicklyT's direction, thanks

(I'll let you know how I get on)

Sponsored Links
as i've already said it is most likely that the OP has the boiler and the immersion on THIS IS THE MOST LIKELY PROBLEM!

turn the switch at the end of the white wire going into the top thermostat (your baked bean can) OFF

this should only be used if you boiler is off or broken.

as i've already said it is most likely that the OP has the boiler and the immersion on THIS IS THE MOST LIKELY PROBLEM!

turn the switch at the end of the white wire going into the top thermostat (your baked bean can) OFF

this should only be used if you boiler is off or broken.

Okay, a question Kevindgas as I am struggling to understand you and maybe I am missing something here...

Why do you think having both boiler and immersion is causing the boiling that the person is trying to prevent? If immersion is fine and boiler is fine then both will automatically stop heating water well before boiling. In fact neither item should cause boiling unless faulty. Problem in this instance is boiling and we are trying to stop the boiling. You saying use one but not the other at the same time - I am struggling to understand your thinking here?

Hi,

I'm going to change the thermostat today but just to clarify, neither my wife or I have made any changes to the settings of our heating system, and the boiling has started of it's own accord. That would suggest to me that something/some part has failed recently.

I'm going to take the thermostat with me to the store to make sure I get exactly the right bit.

I really appreciate all the advice and I'll keep you updated once I've changed the thermostat.
thanks

Raj

It is also possible, if the thermostat has been wired on the wrong side of the element and the element sheath corodes then the circuit is made through the water. Happened to me. Hot fibreglass tanks do pong.

Success! (I think)

It was really straight forward changing the thermostat. Have turned the system back on and no boiling, but I realise that there was another problem with the immersion heater which I've only just realised (and cured).

Previously, whether boiler was heating the hot water or not (as per the electric timer) there always seemed to be hot water available. The immersion heater was constantly heating water.

Having just replaced this thermostat, and turned the power back on, the immersion tank did not automatically start heating water.
I've turned the boiler on to heat water and I'll be keeping a close eye on it in the next few hours to make sure that it doesn't boil etc.

Thanks for all of your help everyone, hope my message above makes sense!

I can confrim that it's all working perfectly.

no boiling and water is only heated when the boiler is turned on through the timer to do so.

total cost £14 for both thermostats.

you guys/girls have saved me a huge amount of money

thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back