Hot Water Cylinder -Female?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm trying to fit a surrey flange to my water cylinder which is probably about 10 years old-its got green insulation. I removed the top pipefitting and am left with a threaded male pipe which has faces for a spanner. Am I correct in assuming this is a fitting and should come out of the the cylinder leaving a female thread?

Sponsored Links
Thats most likely but I cannot say what you have got!

Most cylinders then had a 3/4" or 1" female iron connection.

Most later cylinders have a 22 mm compression copper fitting.

Tony

Bozzle,

Yes probably, but you'll have to be very careful trying to get it out.

Whereabouts are you, do you have a Screwfix or other merchants nearby.

If you do then try and get your hand on a Salamader S flange as this gives you the option of male & femal connections to the cylinder.

Fitted one at the weekend and they are the dogs danglies.

Rico

Bozzle,

Yes probably, but you'll have to be very careful trying to get it out.

Whereabouts are you, do you have a Screwfix or other merchants nearby.

If you do then try and get your hand on a Salamader S flange as this gives you the option of male & femal connections to the cylinder.

Fitted one at the weekend and they are the dogs danglies.

Rico

Please be aware the thread on the fitting is not a standard MI thread, so you will need to get the old fitting out.

The best way is the turn the water off and open the taps to drain the pipework but leave the cylinder full as it gives it strength.

Use a good spanner with a tube on the end to give more leverage, then a steady push/pull Anti-clockwise.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back