Hot Water From Overflow ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if any of you guys could shed some light on this problem.

I have a Gloworm Space Saver 38 (Yeah, old I know !) in the kitchen & a hot water cylinder/tank in the back bedroom. We have the heating on quite a bit as it heats the water up in the tank - I think ? The Gloworm doesn't heat water on demand AFAIK - and we also have an immersion switch for use in the summer when the heating is not required.

After sorting the back garden out last week I noticed that there was an overflow at the back of the house - which I presume is for the tank as its on the same side of the house where the cylinder/tank is - the toilet is round the side of the house so it isn't that - which was leaking hot water out of it and down the back wall of my house. The wall underneath it is absolutely soaking so I presume it has been doing this for a while.

Do any of you know what could be causing this as I am worried that damp will begin to form in the cavity.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Dribbling float valve in the header tank (new washer) or leaking coil in the HW cylinder (new cylinder).

Thanks for the reply.

After checking the header tank it appeared that the ball valve was leaking so instead of replacing the washer, I replaced the whole valve including ball & arm which cured the leak.

Now 30 seconds after I turn on a hot tap I get a noise (kettling ?) through the system. This noise remains for around 30 seconds again after the tap is turned off.

Any ideas ?

The only thing I can think of is that there isnt as much water in the header tank as before when it was overflowing (a couple of inches less) - can I change the ball valve to allow more water into the header tank before the valve cuts in or is it nothing to do with that ?

Just seems strange that there were no noises when the header tank was full.

swaters said:
Now 30 seconds after I turn on a hot tap I get a noise (kettling ?) through the system.
"Now" is an odd word to use for a symptom that seems to have appeared about ten weeks after you did the previous work. I would say that the two aren't related.

You say that the boiler doesn't heat the water on demand - so when you turn on the tap where is the noise coming from? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Could be the new ball valve playing up when filling. Did you fit a part 2 valve?

Could be the replacement valve is not opening/closing, smoothly causing pipe chatter.

or maybe the parts not fastened together tightly? That ringnut that holds the front part onto the tail part, y'know?

Thanks for the responses.

Sorry for any confusion - I have only just carried out the work so it has not been happening for 10 weeks.

I cannot actually pinpoint the noise but it seems to be in the pipework at the rear of the house - back bedroom (where the immersion/header tanks are) & also in the bathroom - also at the rear of the house.

I fitted a high pressure part two valve (should this have been a low pressure variant ?) - there are no leaks & it has been fitted correctly.

It could possibly be the valve as suggested - although when I opened the valve manually with my hand after fitting there were no noises.

What I find strange is the fact that when the valve was faulty & dripping constantly & there was obviously more water in the header I never heard a sound from it, hence why I asked if it would be anything to do with the volume of water in there.

I am going to have another look at it tomorrow. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back