Hot water from taps, only warm water from shower!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into my new-build house in Sept '07 but started to experiencing problems with the temperature of the water coming from the showers last winter. No matter how far I turn the temperature dial I can only get luke warm water - just bearable to have a shower in!

I have a Glow-worm combi boiler and Alterna Amala Concentric Mixer Showers (X3).

The plumber who fitted the shower replaced the cartridge in the one we use the most and said there was no problem. I turned up the water temperature on the boiler and this seemed to cure the problem. However, about two months ago the problem returned. I increased the temperature on the boiler further (nearly max) but the problem still remains.

If I drop the shower head, the temperature of the water increases, sometimes scalding hot, sometimes just a bit hotter than normal. I have this problem will ALL the showers and generally the temperature is very erratic when testing like this - sometimes the temp changes as I move the showerhead, but sometimes it doesn't. However, when having a shower, the temperature is always consistent.

I assume it's some kind of mixing problem and I must be getting too much cold water through the pipes, which means no matter how much I increase the water temp, it always stays the same.

Can anyone help? This is driving me mad!

Many thanks,

Ewan.

Sponsored Links
Simplest and easiest thing to do first off, is fit a non return valve to the shower hot & cold feeds, then take it from there.

Hmmm, not sure how fitting a non-return valve will help. Surely that would just stop the water going back down the pipe. I am concerned with the temperature of the water coming up.

Thanks.

Hi

I have this problem and the exact same shower - just had a new boiler installed (35kw with 14 litres per min flow rate) to solve the problem but it didn't...

Did the problem ever get resolved - please tell me how?

Thanks

Pete

Sponsored Links
i also have this problem with the same shower, had service call once (its got a 5 yr warranty) and he said a part inside had been installed wrong and corrected it, but still have same prob, service guy is coming again this week but if any of you guys can help i would be grateful for any other advice (we had this fitted just after christmas along with a new combi system)

when you run the shower see if the boiler is modulating (going to low flame) if it is try running the shower without the head , could be low flow through the boiler causing the luke warm water.

Ok, had an engineer from Triton out today and he has replaced the whole cartridge, lets see if that fixes it, ill keep you posted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back