Hot water, no central heating.... celtic FF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A Friend of mine has a problem with her heating system.

The hot water works fine, however the heating does not.

It's a celtic FF combination boiler, honeywell timer.

On first inspection the pressure in the system was 0. I figured out how to get the pressure up, via a tap underneath the boiler. I thought that would fix it but it didn't. since I topped the pressure up it's dropped again to just under 1 (about a month).

The water temperature gauge reads 0 all the time.

When she runs the hot tap in the bathroom she did say that the radiator in that room seemed to warm slightly. I don't know if thats relevent (or she just had a warm hand!).

Any suggestions? I thought it could be some kind of motorised valve, but without taking the boiler apart further I wouldn't know where to look (is it even in there?!).

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
I don't know, how could I tell...?

When the taps are on, the heater seems to "fire up" at it were. but switching the central heating makes no difference to the noise it makes. (If thats how you tell)

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
Turn the taps off and ensure the system is demanding heat to the radiators (timer on for heating and thermostat if fitted turned up). Does the boiler fire then? If not i would start looking for a problem with the timer or thermostat.

There might be a clue to the problem when you say the pressure was at zero - but I'm not a heating engineer hence my suggestion to fault find at a basic level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back