HOT WATER PIPES GURGLING - AIR IN SYSTEM SOMEHOW??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Glow Worm Ultimate 40FF boiler and when the hot water comes on as programmed first thing on a morning there is a lot of gurgling coming from the boiler and along the pipes to/from it, the noise is, i assume, air bubbles rushing along the pipes.

not only is this annoying because the noise wakes me up every day, I assume it's not healthy for the system in general.

If it helps anyone diagnose the likely issue, i haven't had the heating on for at least 6 weeks or so during the summer, if that would affect anything.

any advice on areas to investigate would be appreciated!

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have an open vented system the 1st thing is to check the smaller fill/expansion tank in loft to see if it is full of water.

checked tanks in the loft (one large, one small) both are full with water and the filler valves appear to be operating just fine.

any other things i could check?

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Try partially draining your system via a drain cock and check that the smaller tank is refilling(this proves that the cold feed is not blocked)Close off the cock and bleed all air out of rads and via any air vents you may have.There are other reasons why this may be happening to you system,ie system is producing gas(hydrogen) bubbles or there may be a partial blockage near the cold feed and vent that will cause air to be drawn into the system in which case you would be advised to call in a htg engineer.

hi, been away for a while, starting with renewed vigour to stop my system gurgling.

is there a way for me to check if indeed there is a partial blockage at the cold feed/vent?

many thanks!

Unless the system has been properly serviced, you are looking at around 90% chance of corrosion causing problems.

I was thinking corrosion too, sounds like it could be kettling. Could it be a kind of banging noise rather than gurgling?

it's definitely a gurgling, as opposed to a banging.

had the boiler serviced two months or so ago.

are there any further tests, or things to look/listen out for, to try to diagnose the cause once and for all?

thanks for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back