Hot water problems with boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father is having the following trouble

I have an Ideal boiler icos HE12 with a Honeywell control. I also have a Range Tribune HE Stainless Indirect 150l tank.

I can get hot water for central heating but no hot water out of the tap. However I can get hot water if I put the immersion heater on. What is the problem and is it easy to solve or do I need a plumber?

Attachments

• IMG_1304.JPG
    IMG_1304.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1305.JPG
    IMG_1305.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
My father is having the following trouble

I have an Ideal boiler icos HE12 with a Honeywell control. I also have a Range Tribune HE Stainless Indirect 150l tank.

I can get hot water for central heating but no hot water out of the tap. However I can get hot water if I put the immersion heater on. What is the problem and is it easy to solve or do I need a plumber?
Where does your father come into it?
Is it a new problem, and it's been OK before?
Is the programmer calling for heat, at least for an hour or 2 each day?
Is the cylinder stat set high enough?
If all that's OK, it could be the HW valve (thanks ianmcd, I hadn't spotted the 2 valves in the pic :()

Last edited:
Most likely a faulty actuator on the DHW Zone valve, the two valves with white square actuators at the left hand side of your pic, there should be a small lever to manually open them, turn both the CH and HW on and feel the leavers and see if they are both in the same position, try pushing the lever across and if the HW one is resistant then you will have to do electrical checks to make sure it is getting a demand, the lever can be latched in the open position, if you do this and switch on the CH you will get a full tank of HW but only when the CH is demanded

Most likely a faulty actuator on the DHW Zone valve...
...the lever can be latched in the open position, if you do this and switch on the CH you will get a full tank of HW but only when the CH is demanded

Just to add that doing this will defeat the action of the cylinder thermostat and the hot water may be considerably hotter than usual. Tell your father to use caution when running the hot taps.
Have the faulty part replaced as soon as possible.

There is also an outside chance that the hot water will get hot enough to trip the cylinder's safety 'stat. Be sure to check this once the repair has been done, or you/the repairer may come to the wrong diagnostic conclusion (and replace the wrong part).

Sponsored Links
Just to add that doing this will defeat the action of the cylinder thermostat and the hot water may be considerably hotter than usual. Tell your father to use caution when running the hot taps.
Have the faulty part replaced as soon as possible.

There is also an outside chance that the hot water will get hot enough to trip the cylinder's safety 'stat. Be sure to check this once the repair has been done, or you/the repairer may come to the wrong diagnostic conclusion (and replace the wrong part).
It might be something simpler, I'd like to see the answers to my questions first.
If it is the HW valve, it might be opening correctly, but the contacts to fire the boiler not closing, or burnt away, or something.
And I'm still curious where Dad comes into it :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone,

Just to be clear the boiler problem is one my father is having and not myself. I cut and pasted his query here.

He replied the following to me

'Many thanks for this. I think this is beyond me. I think I need a plumber. I will get one after Christmas.
Thank you all.'

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Just to be clear the boiler problem is one my father is having and not myself. I cut and pasted his query here.

He replied the following to me

'Many thanks for this. I think this is beyond me. I think I need a plumber. I will get one after Christmas.
Thank you all.'
OK and Merry Xmas!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back