Hot water pump - can it be used?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just doing up a house which has a gravity fed CH system. The cylinder is located on the 1st floor in a cupboard on the landing. The bathroom is on the same level which means the hot water flow rate to the bath is really bad, i can't imagine how long it would take to fill.

My question is.. can i fit a standard central heading pump to the 22mm pipe from the HW tank to increase the flow rate? I know that this is not the intended application for such a pump, my concerns are when all the HW taps are closed the pump may burn out.

My intention would be to only use the pump when using the hw rather than all the time.

Any suggestions would be most welcome,

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Sponsored Links
I thought the idea was that you raise the height of the tank in the loft,
since it is this that gives the pressure, installing a pump may actualy create a vacuum and cause the cylinder to get crushed by air pressure

griffta1 said:
Hi,

Just doing up a house which has a gravity fed CH system. , i can't imagine how long it would take to fill.

Any suggestions would be most welcome,

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Imagine there`s no water, It`s easy if you try No Hell below us , above us only sky.Imagine all the plumbers, living life in peace yoo hoo.You may say I`m a mickey taker, but I`m not the only one. Hope one day you`ll join us , and the world will live as one :LOL: Couldn`t resist that...........No, the hot cylinder`s position is irelevant..it`s the cold feed cistern in the roof that determines the water flow.....Central heating pumps will rust away in no time on fresh water.you can get bronze ones for Secondary circulation, but thats another song ;)

so, move the cw feed tank or fit a brass pump? I'm not keen on moving the tank, is there a pump designed for this purpose?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can buy a suitable pump, but it's not the best solution IMHO, because:
1 - It's something else to go wrong
2 - It will make a noise - how much depends on how good it is and how you install it.
3 - It takes up space
4 - It needs wiring in - what about Part P?
5 - It costs a bit
So, I'd go for moving the tank up if it's possible. Could be more labour, but lower cost and good result.
Good one Nige!

I get the impression that a pump is going to get fitted no matter what!

yeah, we;; i do agree with putting the tank up in the loft and would do that myself, but i'm not completely happy with the strength of the supports in the loft so with that weight of water i would never sleep at night!

I apologize if i appeared to dismiss people's advice.

whats the hot water presure like coming out of sink basin taps or other hot taps in the house, what im thinkin is that if your bath tap is a bath mixer/shower then you cant get any good flow past them with just gravity but if you have normal taps then stick tank up higher its not as bad as you might think.

their just normal taps i'm afraid, the problem is that heightwise they are at a level equivalent to half way down the how water tank... there being the problem.

Looking into getting a flow switch, adding that in and a pump and then when a tap is opened then the pump will operate, hmm this is all starting to sound way too complicated. I think i would do quite well on scrap heap challenge!

I reckon it's a pump of some sort that you need. Maybe one that pumps water around the whole of the house. Sorry, forgotten what they are called now.

most pumps have switch already fitted. you could ring salamander pumps on 08708554200 think thay do one its an 120cpv but check wit them.good luck.

breezer said:
I thought the idea was that you raise the height of the tank in the loft,
since it is this that gives the pressure, installing a pump may actualy create a vacuum and cause the cylinder to get crushed by air pressure
Er, breezer, isn't this a vented system, in which case there would be no vacuum?

Or is it a pressurised system, in which case there would be no vacuum?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back