Hot water/ pump question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm on a gravity fed conventional boiler setup with two syncro valves and a pump. My pump has just packed up would I be able to disconnect the pump and just use the hot water and not the heating or does the hot water require the pump too?

Reson I'm asking is if I need the pump for the hot water I will have to get it straight away, if not then I can shop around and mail order.
(p.s I think I got this right:)

Sponsored Links
Skinflint!! get yer self a pump so you can shower before you start to smell!! :LOL:

Yep the valves do look like that. I suppose I should have guessed by the way the pump blew the RCD when either hot water or heating was put on :(

Sponsored Links
Your boiler may only be designed for fully pumped operation and therefore get a pump asap.

Your hot water cylinder will almost certainly have an immersion heater, switch this on for lovely hot water

Thanks, I currently have a grundfos 15-50 pump so would like a similar quality pump. The heating was fitted by British Gas so it has quality components like honeywell etc. Anyone know any good cheap brand pumps I could check out? I have a Grahams and a plumb center near me or I could travel a bit further for a B&Q

Your hot water cylinder will almost certainly have an immersion heater, switch this on for lovely hot water
My immersion heater element broke sometime ago and I never bothered to replace cause the boiler is a lot quicker. I currently use the immersion heater socket for my power shower with a low amp fuse in.

Replace with another 15-50, different brands may have different spacings between the valves and require pipework adjustment. Have you checked to see if you have an immersion?

Also, are you certain it's the pump that's the problem? Try turning off the power (which is presumably off anyway) disconnecting the pump then turning the power on again to see if it still blows. If it does it's not the pump at fault. Make sure you make the bare ends safe before you turn the power on again.

My immersion heater element broke sometime ago and I never bothered to replace cause the boiler is a lot quicker. I currently use the immersion heater socket for my power shower with a low amp fuse in.

Ah right...might this situation be an incentive to get that done also?

Replace with another 15-50, different brands may have different spacings between the valves and require pipework adjustment. Have you checked to see if you have an immersion?

Also, are you certain it's the pump that's the problem? Try turning off the power (which is presumably off anyway) disconnecting the pump then turning the power on again to see if it still blows. If it does it's not the pump at fault. Make sure you make the bare ends safe before you turn the power on again.
I am now certain it's the pump, I disconnected the pump and connected to a extension cable and it blew the RCD. I then fired the boiler for a couple of secs and it worked fine. Oh and pump went and sparked big style on low settings :eek:
I have a weeping pump valve just above it which I need to replace. I presume I have to drain the whole rad system to do this. I have done it once before and drained the whole system when I did was I right too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back