hot water system noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there i've just had a couple of new radiators fitted (by my nephew who was up from London for the weekend!) to my central heating system which is powered by a Valiant combi boiler. So the system had to be drained down, new rads fitted, system refilled and all working OK - until it came time to run a bath! now when the hot water is running there is a cycling sort of a noise that comes and goes in a rythmn (can't quite name the tune but it is getting me worried!).

It sounds like it may be a bit of a problem with air but i've no idea how to bleed the hot water system - or if it is even possible to do so!

Any help greatfully received before I have to call out a plumber!

AndyS

Sponsored Links
Give it a few days the air in the pipes should clear.
But the hot water system isn't linked to the central heating system.

The hot and cold pipes wouldn't have been drained.

Well its been almost a week now and its still making the same noise with the same rythmn and only when the hot water is running. I understand that the water supply wasn't drained and that the pump doesn't power the water supply so what on earth can be causing this problem?

Problem now is that I am nervous about calling out a plumber as, if you guys can't come up with some rational reason for it, what is a plumber going to tell me?

AndyS

Dearest Pemba, may I respectfully suggest that you do not get a 'plumber' in.

Get a Registered Gas Installer in.

And I say that as a 'plumber' who is also an RGI........

A plumber will not be qualified/ equiped/insured to deal with a gas related issue - although it will not be likely to be gas related, the RGI, she/he will have the necessary equipment to view/listen, diagnose and rectify the problems described - something us guys at home with the laptop are unable to do even if it is 'wet-side' of the appliance.

DH

Sponsored Links
could it be possible that the domestic water inlet valve to the boiler could have been adjusted slightly by mistake whilst he was working on the boiler? If the flow rate has been altered this could maybe make it noisier when running the hot water. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the comments guys - if/when I get a plumber in he/she will be Corgi registered.

As for the boiler flow rate there was no work done on the boiler other than to refill the system.

Could it be that the system has more pressure in it now than it had before he started (it was quite low I remember) - it was below 1Bar and is now up at 1.5Bar?

Thanks for all the comments and I appreciate that you guys can't hear and see what the boiler is doing as a person "on site" would be able to.

Hi there just to provide an update i've spoken to the guy who fitted the boiler (as suggested i'd checked that he was registered!) and he suggested a couple of things that i've tried - none worked!

However, i've just noticed that there is a regular drip coming from the boiler overflow (i'm assuming its an overflow but it could be anything!) - could this be related? the plumber did suggest that the system could be overpressurised and the pressure gauge could be faulty - so could that be causing the drip from the overflow.

I'm now resigned to having to call him out so i'll keep you posted on the outcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back