Hot water tank boiling and bubbling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old-ish floor standing Potterton boiler, and whenever I set the hot water to come on (gas), about 20 mins later the hot water tank in the loft will bubble and rattle like mad. I've seen it happen and it looks like boiling water is coming out of the pipe in the loft. It's really scary, but a local plumber couldn't find a problem, though I suspect it would be due to a thermostat.

Any ideas? I will call out another engineer, but would like to understand what may be causing this first.

Incidentally, we are now only using the immersion system to heat the hot water, but even though it is set to 60 degrees, the water is scolding when it comes out. But surely this is a separate system and thermostat?

Any help appreciated - thanks!

Tracey

Sponsored Links
I think you need a competent plumber! How could he come and say there is nothing wrong?

A better one can reset your immersion heater temperature.

Tony

Two completely separate faults but both thermostat related .

Boiler stat has gone and is out of calibration and needs replaced .

Immersion stat may need turning down (turn power off) then remove top of you will see a little dial with an arrow this should be around 55/60 if its higher turn it down if its already at that then new stat is req which is usually a 5 minute job it just pulls out after disconnecting the wires

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back