Hotpoint TL61P Tumble Dryer not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my tumble dryer isn't heating up.

I have removed the back and one of the two thermostats shows continuity (when the connections are removed from it). The other one doesn't

I did try running it with the faulty thermostat isolated but the lower heat setting still didn't kick in. I was hoping that doing so would confirm if the heating element was Ok. Should it have worked?

Are there separate checks that I need to conduct on the element? Or is it likely that replacing the two thermostats will suffice?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Was there a build up of fluff that could cause the machine to overheat, if yes then it is probably just the stat that has tripped. If you need to replace them, but be careful as there are 2 different types for your machine rated at different temps.. Before replacing them try taking out the faulty one & throwing it face side down onto a hard surface ( they can sometimes be reset this way ). As far as the element is concerned you have 2 separate ones in the same housing & would need to continuity check them both.

Thanks JJ4091.

I am not aware of any excessive fluff but will check, then try to reset the thermostat.

_____________edit----------------

Banging it on the floor made no difference.

Will order some new ones. Will it be obvious which is the hotter and which is the cooler?

Ta

Last edited:
If you can see it the temp. for each stat will be written on the porcelain portion of the stat.

Sponsored Links
If you can see it the temp. for each stat will be written on the porcelain portion of the stat.

I replaced them last night. One of the two has a red dot (as do the old ones) so that you don't get them the wrong way around.

Happy to report that the machine now works. My only slight concern it that removing the first thermostat wore away the thread in the hole. I can't see the minimal vibration causing the screws to drop out but I might try a tiny dab of araldite to see it that locks them (unless you can suggest a better option).

once again, thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back