Hotpoint Washer Drum Clonks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Model: Hotpoint Ultima Extra WMA62
Problem is that when drum turns, eg during wash, spin or simply by hand it makes a clonking like the drum is being tapped firmly. But you cannot feel the tap when you turn the drum. The problem occurs in both directions.
I have removed the belt and the noise cannot be reproduced either by turning the drum or motor.
I cannot feel any obvious bearing wear in either drum or motor.
The only play i can feel is slight rotational slip on the drum pulley. But i cannot see how that can make the noise except when the motor changes direction, which is not consistent with the noise.
The noise does not occur at any particular point in the drum rotation. Sometimes it is almost a loud clicking (like when as kids we attached card to bike forks to click in the spokes) and amplified by the drum. I can't feel and other play but on this beast the back is not removable so investigation is from top; not good to look what's happening to the pulley. But I can slightly "feel" the noise when i turn the pulley. I've tried tightening the pulley nut but no change.
It was intermittent but getting progressively worse.
The appliance has had enough life so i don't mind replacing it but very puzzled.
Has anyone come across this one?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back