HOTPOINT WD860 washer/dryer problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help I have the above model and the dryer wont work, has anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
thro it in the bin and get separates.

its either the condensor, valve, fan, element or stat

breezer not got the space.
is there any way of testing the items you mentioned? I thought a fault code would come up but nothing!

if you have a meter yes.

but you cant check the condensor.

when i was at HP we used to change them, easier than cleaning one, but i would try stat or heater first, but if the stat has gone why? usualy becuse the fan gas given up

Sponsored Links
Cheers breezer. Well I'v taken it apart and I have it all over my kitchen now much to the wifes amusement!
I'v removed the thermostat and from what I have been reading should be an opencircuit but its not so I'm assuming this is the problem. Anyway I'v ordered a new one for £7 (cheaper than calling Hotpoint eng out) which will hopefully work. I'll post back with more info if it works so people can follow what I have done.

breezer or anyone else help!
Right then so far Iv had little luck on getting it to dry clothes. I have:-
1. Replaced the thermostat for new one and it still wont work. Both the new one and old one measure 24kohms. I assume this is correct.
2. Iv tested the heating element resistance which is 45ohms. If it was infinite then I assume it has a break so is broken so this checks out. I can also measure ~68volts to the element when running should this be right? If it is then mybe there is an issue with the element?
3. The fan is running and I can measure ~68volts on one side but nothing on the other side(assume this is normal).

Can someone let me know if the above looks resonable and if so what else I can do?

:cry: :cry:

There should be 240 volts at the element.
How are you measuring one side? Tested properly you should volts ac selected on your meter and one probe on each of the two terminals of the circuit you are testing.
I suspect your earthing one probe and using the other on the part you're testing. If so, it appears you have no nuetral.
Meter the element and all stats for continuity, also check the wiring for broken wires.

sleepyhead yes I earth one end and then test both ends of the element which reads 68volts. If i test from one end of the element as you mentioned this wont measure anything?
Iv done a buzz test on the thermostat but it does not buzz. This is the same on the new one I bought. Should it buzz across the terminals?
The element wont buzz either but does not have infinite resistance sso assume its ok.
Can you explain if I'm wrong or what tests to carry out?

you are not using your meter correctly. I suggest you read its user manual, then you will see whay it is you are doing wrong

Having searched the net and not found the answer I wonder if someone might help.

I have a WD860 and it stopped drying.

The first time this happened Hotpoint replaced the whole heater box as a quick fix.

The next time I took the top off and found a broken wire which when fixed everything worked.

It's happened again and thought - broken wire. But all seems ok.

Tested various connections and then proceeded to strip the heater box down. The element has 48.5 ohms across its terminals.

The other 2 components are new to me. Suspect one is an overload and the other is a temperature sensor. I have put an A & B underneath them in a picture but cant attach it.

Both have an open circuit and considering one of them (B) is in series with the element I suspect this is at fault.

I have the part numbers from the components themselves but not sure which to order and what it is called.

Can anyone help.

Thank you

PICTURE & WEBPAGE LINK BELOW

http://www.imageshock.eu/img/1689487,05012008319-2.jpg

A rather old thread - so I hope there's some connection to the living!!

I'm trying to fix a WD860 which doesn't dry.
- there is no error code
- the drum turns and timer works
- the fan motor is running
- the heater element is not heating and there is no continuity (should be 48ohms?)
- there is no current to the heater element (should be 240V?)
- there do not appear to be any broken wires or loose connections

Any ideas please?

Of coarse it will, you have tested it it's got no reading.

Maybe I'm being a bit thick here!
I'm pretty sure the element is dead. I would, however, expect there to be some power being sent in its direction - sufficient to give some sign of life on my meter while the machine is supposed to to be drying.
But there was nothing.
I don't want to replace the element and then find something else isn't right.
e.g. A light bulb might pop and blow the fuse. Putting a new light bulb in wouldn't restore the power. A bulb might pop and not blow the fuse, in which case there would be power to the socket with the light switched to on even though the bulb is dead.
Is it possible the element has burned out as a result of something else failing ...or has a failure elsewhere caused element to burn out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back