House alarm and mains poer unit - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time I have posted a security system question.

I have a problem with my home alarm system. All is working well, but when the mains power is shut off (not very often) the alarm activates outside and the control panel keys become inactive. I have to switch the mains power back on to switch the alarm off. I thought I had a problem with the battery backup in the control panel so I replaced this yesterday but the problem is still there. I have minimal knowledge of alarm systems so any advice would be appreciated.

The alarm is Accenta/Optima G3 intruder system with 5 pirs and 1 door contact (front door). The panel was in the house when we moved in 2 years ago but we had the cabling (a right mess) ripped out and replaced. All the cable is now hidden and I am sure this problem was not there when we updated the system. The mains power was off a few times when we first moved in to have jobs done and I don't remember the alarm activating.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the backup battery has gone faulty. You say you have replaced this, so it is possible the old battery may have also blown the fuse in the panel.

Thanks RF for the quick reply. Now for a stupid question - what should I be looking for when I take the panel cover off (and don't say a fuse). Where is the fuse located and what does it look like, cheers.

I hate to say this, but look for a fuse.

looks like
GJ891040.jpg

sitting in something like
KU29G.jpg

but you could also try putting a multi meter on the battery leads (no battery) to see if there is around 13.8 volts.

if there is no voltage you have lost a fuse

Sponsored Links
Thanks I will go and see what I can find. Don't have anything to test the voltage unfortunately.

You need an MM to work with electricity just as you need a saw to work with wood.

;) Sorry...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back