house earthing system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening all

have been doing earthing systems at college, so wandered down the cellar of the house jack renovated ( where I have the misfortune to live!!), to identify which system the house has.
Main earthing conductor is connected to a clamp where supply comes into the house, TN-S if I am not mistaken.
The main earthing conductor then goes into the CU and is terminated in the Neutral block.
Can someone please explain to me WHY..........

thanks in anticipation........meanwhile back to the algebra....LOL

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be terminated in the neutral block, where do all the CPCs connect to? Any chance of a photo?

A photo of this would be good!

It isn't one of these CU's that have the neutral and earth bar sharing a common fixing, looking as if they are connected??

Sorry if thats a stupid thing to ask :confused:

Sponsored Links
have asked admin to post photo.......no neutral and earth bars are quite far apart...ho hum

You can post a photo your self - upload it to this website:

http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/index.php

Make it smaller if required, less than 100k

Then, copy the link the site gives you (left mouse click, copy).

Paste it into your post like this:

Let me make a few wild guesses:

1) Stupid mistake
2) Couldn't fit it in the earthing block and found somewhere else it would fit
3) trying to invent his own way of making a TN-S-C (!) system.

[quote="

3) trying to invent his own way of making a TN-S-C (!) system.[/quote]

I was wondering that, thought college was not telling the full story again.......LOL

Joking aside, this is obviously wrong, the CPCs may not be connected to earth or connected via a main equipotential conductor to a neighbouring property. IMO this requires immediate remedial attention, my advice as if this is done wrong it can be deadly is to have a qualified electrician test the installation (PIR).

Spark123 said:
the CPCs may not be connected to earth or connected via a main equipotential conductor to a neighbouring property.

didn't quite follow that. Did you mean what it says?

1) The CPCs may either not be earthed, or
2) The CPCs may be connected to earth via the block, the main equipotential bonding conductor to say a metal water/gas main, through the pipework to another property and through their main eq bonding conductor to their earth terminal.
In either case, this is bad and requires immediate remedial action.

Move the earth to the earth block ASAP

however i agree that the whole install needs a thourough inspection and test. once you see one screwup like this its a good indication that there are likely to be more.

Get that Main Earthing Conductor in the earth block without delay. Looks like you have a spare hole at the bottom of the earth block.
I could not believe anyone could be that stupid.

Looks to me like you will have some usefull work to practice on.

5 fuses, can't be sure but it looks like some of those need attention.
No.4 looks like a 1.0mm cable but has a 15A fuse
What does it feed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back