House I'm looking to buy has spray foam in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

Looking to buy a 1930's semi, had a look in the loft and discovered the underside of the tiles have been covered in spray foam! Just after a bit of advice as to whether to walk away or not to worry about it.
I've looked on the Internet etc and read differing opinions. Roof tiles look to be in OK condition from the outside, is it worth getting a survey on the roof?

Cheers
Mark

Sponsored Links
Spray foam is marvellous for keeping loose slates or whatever in place......its also marvellous for preventing ventilation and harbouring dampness should any get within the slate / rafter area. Personally I wouldn't want it, but I've seen the odd property where the exterior roof was maintained in good order and there were no visible issues within.
Did you see any signs of condensation within the roof, and did a surveyor offer any advice?
John :)

If it's the original roof then it's over 80 years old and due for renewal, take that into account. If it's a newer roof then I would be worried it's hiding something.

Sponsored Links
Don't even consider buying it .......unless they accept a price that allows for a complete new roof. Survey ? why pay £££ to be told what we're saying for free,;)

Run away very very fast.

Apart from the drawbacks of the foam itself, anyone who has had it done is probably extremely gullible and has succumbed to any other dodgy home improvement going.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back