House Re-Wire

thankyou for the advice,,,, i am not bothered by the way it is put across, just glad to be recieving some good sound advice..

lol @ extra low voltage and low voltage terms,, damm will have to remember that one...

anyways,,, the reason the electrician installed a seperate board was he said becuase of the rcd,,,, i have 5 spare cb's on the top board but the rcd is used up for the sockets,,., i did question him as to why he couldnt just take out one of the un-used breakers and replace with rcd type one,, but he was not interested, the new board he installed on the bottom left is the new kitchen one,, sockets and cooker....

he also put in 100A 6 way connector box due to having to feed his new board,,, all extra expense and mess...

i am fairly happen with what you have said and actually fairly happy to not have to actually do anything apart from tidy things up.

the supply to the garage/workshop is all i need to consider now,...

Sponsored Links
Good God BAS! You don't half go on, sometimes.....

As I understand it, the O/P is concerned whether his property is saleable or not...

There's no Law and there's no power on Earth that will prevent the sale of a property to a buyer determined enough to have possession.

Trivial matters such as the lack of BC approval for past works can easily be overcome by having a survey, a PIR or a BC 'Regularisation' certificate.
Lucia.

Or you can say that the work was done late 2004 when the new wiring were available. Or use the old colours which are still available on Ebay. :LOL:

i did question him as to why he couldnt just take out one of the un-used breakers and replace with rcd type one,, but he was not interested, the new board he installed on the bottom left is the new kitchen one,, sockets and cooker....
Assuming the CU supplying the main part of the house is of the split load variety with an RCD protecting certain circuits, I can't see why he couldn't have used RCBO's in the spare unprotected ways. Intead he has installed a further CU and a Henley block, which it sounds like you didn't want?

Maybe he found MEM RCBOs a little pricey... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
lol @ extra low voltage and low voltage terms,, damm will have to remember that one...
Yes - it's not helped by the makers and sellers of 12v lighting systems calling them "low voltage".

If you look at the Building Regulations they say (regarding Part P)

The requirements of this Part apply only to
electrical installations that are intended to
operate at low or extra-low voltage .....

To be fair they do define those terms at the start, but even so...

anyways,,, the reason the electrician installed a seperate board was he said becuase of the rcd,,,, i have 5 spare cb's on the top board but the rcd is used up for the sockets,,., i did question him as to why he couldnt just take out one of the un-used breakers and replace with rcd type one,, but he was not interested,
£ £ £

the supply to the garage/workshop is all i need to consider now,...
Think about whether you are going to move the kitchen circuits into the main CU, then you can use the new one for the garage supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back