Housing Development is going to destroy all our dreams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, and apologies for coming to your forum with a sob story on my first post. I'm hoping there's someone out there who can give us at least a little help.

My detached house backs onto open green fields. For 20 years various developers have been trying to achieve planning permission for housing on there and have been continually unsuccessful. The local residents have formed an action group and kept fighting them off. This came to a head 5 weeks ago when another vote of councellors finished 8-7 against the proposed development of 300 homes. Yet for some reason another vote took place last week and suddenly the housing was passed 8-7.

We called the housing company, having heard this news, and their man came round, very sheepish and shamefaced with the plans. They are devastating to us. We've been trying to sell our home for 2 years and noone will touch it because of the uncertainty. Having seen the plans I can see why. Three of these new houses will come to within 6 metres of our back door and only outside space - a patio. This will block all our light - it only really comes in from that side. Our drive, which we have access rights to and previously just ran to some unused gate to a farmer's field, is now going to be a main pathway in and out of the estate. People will be walking 24/7 within 2 feet of our living room window.

So we're in a situation where we have three children under 5 and are depserate to move to give them a garden. We've found our dream home too. But we've had £50-100K wiped from the value of our property by this news, and no matter how competetively we price the property we aren't going to sell it. We're stuck.

My wife is totally devastated by this. I know now that the full plan has been approved there's little we can do about this. But I'm trying, by keeping the housing company onside, to see if they might so something for us. They've even offered us a little strip of land between us and the development, but it really isn't much comfort at all.

I'm going to talk to see if there's anything else they can do for us. Obviously the best thing that could happen would be for them to buy our house but I suspect it isn't that likely. But I want to also hint that without us "onside" we'll do all we can to make their life difficult. But what I'm looking for is any information about what I can actually do about this. Can I oppose this path, bearing in mind I only have access rights? Can I challenge them on the light they will blocked from my house, even though that's only 1-3 houses out of 300?

Any help, however minor, would be really appreciated. This news really has plunged our family into depair, just weeks after finding our dream home to move into.

Sponsored Links
With all due respect mate, you maybe need to gain a little perspective here.

What gives you the right to have your environment 'untouchable'?

Most of the population have to accept some from of development in + around there locality. There is a huge shortage in housing generally, especially in Yorkshire. There must be a requirement for housing in your area, the space has become available + a developer is gonna come in + develop. I say good for everybody. It will create jobs + stimulate the local economy both short + long term. The last time I checked this economy needs all the help it can get.......esp up here in Yorkshire.

I have a few questions generally tho....... how can a new house be built 6m from your back door? There are guidlines on aspect distances between dwellings, 6m is way under the norm. Also why will you have people walking 24/7 across your LV window? What type of development is it?

Why would the developer be sheepish & shamefaced? They exist to develop......not to be worried about a neighbour's complaints. I work in this field mate, we get countless neighbour's complaints + most aren't worth the paper there written on. How did you manage to get a strip of land off them anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong but is this strip gonna sit inbetween your rear patio + the new housing? Won't leave much of a garden for the new house?

If a new development is gonna wipe off £50-100k, you must live in a NICE house mate......sounds like a bit a 'dream house' already tbh.

Where is the development in Yorkshire? Is it the Bingley Rd + Derry Hill sites? I can take a look at the plans on-line and let you know if anything can be done in terms of your complaints.

My guess is it's the Lindley Moor site. I have to broadly agree with peca. Any open space within the development zone is going to be developed at some time. It's just a question of when.

heeelllooo and welcome PaulMatthew1 :D :D :D :D

whilst you do have my sympathy at all the wasted time money and effort unless you own the land you know anything can happen
why did you not club together years ago and buy the land when it was cheaper ???

Sponsored Links
The only thing you can do is to review the planning process and decision process (make a FoI request) and check that it was all done properly. If not make a complaint to the council and then to the local government ombudsman.

This wont change the decision, but if there was maladministration then you may be compensated

You may also want to investigate what persuaded one of the councillors to change their mind. Was it a brown envelope?

As for the actual passing of the plans, whilst it may be a fact that development is inevitable on certain land, there is an expectation and obligation for the planners to safeguard the amenity of those affected. So in your case, this may involve siting new houses away from your garden

If a new development is gonna wipe off £50-100k, you must live in a NICE house mate......sounds like a bit a 'dream house' already tbh.

A house worth enough to have £50-100k wiped off it's value - but with a back garden consisting of only a patio of significantly less than 6m, and with a front garden ending 2 feet from the living room window?????

Something doesn't add up here!

A house worth enough to have £50-100k wiped off it's value - but with a back garden consisting of only a patio of significantly less than 6m, and with a front garden ending 2 feet from the living room window?????

Why would I waste my time by coming here and making this up?

The only thing you can do is to review the planning process and decision process (make a FoI request) and check that it was all done properly. If not make a complaint to the council and then to the local government ombudsman.

This wont change the decision, but if there was maladministration then you may be compensated

You may also want to investigate what persuaded one of the councillors to change their mind. Was it a brown envelope?

As for the actual passing of the plans, whilst it may be a fact that development is inevitable on certain land, there is an expectation and obligation for the planners to safeguard the amenity of those affected. So in your case, this may involve siting new houses away from your garden

Thanks for this, that's really helpful. Going to check this out,

I'm just saying - if the plot of land you actually own, which your house actually stands on (as apposed to the area surrounding it, which you have had enjoyment of for years without paying for, ownership of, or rights as to it's use) is as small as it must be to give you the overlooking problems you're anticipating from this development - then I'm pretty sure your house can never REALLY have been worth enough to have a six figure sum wiped off its value just by having a housing development built next door. Not exactly a nuclear reactor, is it.

I reckon someone has been overvaluing your property all along (either yourself in your own mind or someone advising you, who may not have been aware - or making sufficeient allowances for - quite how restricted a curtilage your property has) and including in it's "value" continued enjoyment of things over which the owner has no rights.

Tory voting NIMBY - sow the wind .... :LOL: :LOL:

I can sympathise with the OP - my parents had a similar situation in that developers had applied several times to build in the field behind the house. However, after being knocked back again, the last one decided to sell the field - and my parents got together with the other houses affected and bought the field.

Short of compulsory purchase it is the only way to prevent development. Incidentally, someone has applied to have the local development boundary moved - I'm guessing they own the next field going out of town judging by where they are trying to have the zone extended to. If that happens, I think my parents would be well tempted to sell it 9and possibly move) given what it would fetch these days.

But, a question for the others.
If someone does development that impacts on the value of your property - can you claim off the developer for that loss ? I imagine that if you can then it's not straightforward - not least because there'll be differences of opinion over the "loss".

But, a question for the others.
If someone does development that impacts on the value of your property - can you claim off the developer for that loss ? I imagine that if you can then it's not straightforward - not least because there'll be differences of opinion over the "loss".

not sure why you would think the developers would have and duty legally or morally to pay compensation when building in accordance with all rules and regulations :D :D

councils can put restrictions on the development to make them comply with whats acceptable within the rules but there is no legal right to compensation

The value of a property can only be impacted by nearby development if people are considering things which do not belong to the property (such as a view, or an open field to the rear) to form part of that value.

When you buy a house you are buying the house, the land it sits on, and any access rights included in the deeds. End of story.

No-one can - or should - expect to be compensated for lawful development on land they have no rights over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back