How best to hide unused ceiling light cables

This would all take about 5 minutes to solve with a multi meter.

I would see if some one you know has one, then you can disconnect, push the cable into the void and plaster over.

Always gonna look better than a rose with no pendant

Sponsored Links
This would all take about 5 minutes to solve with a multi meter.

I would see if some one you know has one, then you can disconnect, push the cable into the void and plaster over.
Always gonna look better than a rose with no pendant

I can buy a multimeter, but what should i check for exactly? Would i not still have to remove (or box) the cable?

I can buy a multimeter, but what should i check for exactly? Would i not still have to remove (or box) the cable?

The best way would be to (with the power off) Put each core into a separate connector block (so 4 total)

If you don't know which is the switch wire: reconnect your switch, then between one set of red and black, test for continuity - if there's none, operate the switch, if there is, operate the switch, after operating the switch it should be the opposite of what it was originally, if it's not the switch nothing will change + repeat on the other cable.

Now go to the closest rose and disconnect one cable from the loop. You're going to want to put these into a connector block in case you remove the loop in rather than the loop out.

Re energise and (assuming the light you have disconnected from still works) test for live between live and neutral at the cable you wish to disconnect. If you have voltage it was not the correct light, repeat for each rose until you find no voltage at the cable you wish to remove.

You can then connect both the live and neutral together into one connector block and push them into the void. This will show anyone they are no longer in use (as they would blow the fuse if they were energised) and will stop them coming into contact with anything else

You can test the connector block safely via the screw terminal, so make sure you don't have any wires sticking out the other end, this should stop you getting a nasty shock.

I'm sure someone else can add some tips too

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for this suggestion Iggifer. Once i got the hang of using the multimeter, this was a sinch! Cables now safe (i hope!) and hidden in the void.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back