How can a shower be connected to this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mate (lives in a pub) has a 14-way (i think) GET CU. All MCB's are protected by the 80A RCCB. However, there are 10 MCB's comprising 3x32, 5x20, 2x16A. He also wants to connect a 8.5kW shower to it. By my calculation this would be a 40A. so, including the shower MCB, the total value would be 268A. How can the shower be connected. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
xAlex said:
...would it be OK to connect the 40A then Davy?

It is up the the installer to determine maximum demand and account for any allowable diversity. Whether the MD after diversity is still low enough will depend on what loads the existing circuits feed. Not all circuits can have diversity applied - instant water heaters are one example (showers, over sink water heaters etc).

Sponsored Links
xAlex said:
All MCB's are protected by the 80A RCCB.

Then the nuisance tripping will be a problem, esecially as all the lights will go out, as well as his fire and intruder alarms and the chillers. this is very undesirable in a public building where some of the people will be drunk and unruly.

He should spend some of his money on RCBOs for the circuits that need RCD protection

Or as a very poor second best, a split-load CU

So, if after the addition of the design currents of all the individual circuits, allowing, where appropriate for diversity, the demand is more than 40A, the 40A for the shower cannot be installed. (as the RCCB is just 80A). Correct??? Can the RCCB be up-rated? Any other options?

what I said.

Or a second CU if you want an untidy option

Sure, you can get RCCBs rated at 100A but the basic issue is the RCCB is a single point of failure and the board should be re-architected (is that a correct word?)

Now, can the board/installation support an additional 8.5KW - ther's no diversity allowed on this, it all or nothing. You need to get a spark to look at what is also being used in the pub - especially the kitchen. You may have issues if the shower is used when the deep fat fryer and the oven are on at the same time for instance......

I always wonder why people need a power shower. Is there hot and cold water in the bathroom already? If the problem is water pressure then a shower pump should be all that you need.

No one has asked this yet, so I'll be the first.

What type and size supply is there to the pub? (the whole property)

This CU you refer to, I assume this is the CU just for the flat? It sounds woefully undersized for the whole pub to run off.

The installation is shabby. There are 2 consumer units and one semi-enclosed fuse type box with 4 fuses. I'm not sure what the total load is. The semi-enclosed is for the top floor (flat), and the 1st floor with the shower and a lodger, and the ground floor with all of the pub equipment etc are mixed in the other 2. The 2nd 10-way unit is not RCD protected and does not have any spare ways.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back