Replacing Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my current 8Kw shower has stopped working. I was looking to replace it with a 9.5Kw shower. The cable back to the CU is 10mm the MCB is 40A (in a Crabtree RCD CU). Would i be advised to increase the MCB to a 50A for the shower?

If so are they easy enough to replace? the fuses are Starbreakers with the spade connector on them.

The main Electricty board fuse is rated at 80A.

Regards
Jeff

Sponsored Links
my current 8Kw shower has stopped working. I was looking to replace it with a 9.5Kw shower. The cable back to the CU is 10mm the MCB is 40A (in a Crabtree RCD CU). Would i be advised to increase the MCB to a 50A for the shower?

If so are they easy enough to replace? the fuses are Starbreakers with the spade connector on them.

The main Electricty board fuse is rated at 80A.

Regards
Jeff

The Manufacturers instructions will give you guidance as to the correct MCB size for that particular shower.

If you are swopping the shower try and make sure that both your water and electrical connections are in the same location otherwise your tiled wall, if you have one, will need 'adjusting'. ;)

As most showers display power ratings for 240V, there is no need to change the MCB.
9.5kW = 39.6A at 240V.

Even if the shower is rated at 230V, it still won't be necessary to change anything.

Sponsored Links
As stated you should be ok with a B40 Amp MCB.
Also is this MCB closest to your main red switch on the CU?

If its rated at 9.5Kw @ 230v AC I might go to a higher rating MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back