How can I cut a bit away from of a toilet pan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I cannot fit my toilet flush to the wall because part of it is blocked by the waste pipe in the floor. If I can cut away a couple of inches from the base of the pan at the rear then I can fit it flush to the wall. My plumber says he has never done this, but can anyone tell me if it's possible, for instance by drilling or by some other clever trick of the trade?

The area to be cut would be out of sight once the pan has been fitted.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
tap it out gently with a big lump hammer. then buy a new one as you will
have found it cannot be done. instead pack out the cistern from the wall

Sponsored Links
Ditto, the trick is to move the soil pipe in the floor, if at all possible. You *might* be able to do it with an angle grinder and a pro-quality diamond blade, but it'll invalidate the warranty on the loo and you may well end up breaking it. The diamond blade will also set you back a pretty penny.

How about a diamond core drill on hammer action :evil:

What no-one has considered is where the cistern goes or how it connects to the pan, or is it one of those fancy jobbies with a high level cistern and a hole in the top.

I have had the unenviable task of cutting out a section of a toilet pan on a back to wall toilet.
i had no choice as i could not move the pipe and the foreign pan had a cross member on the bottom which was supposed to fit round back of waste pipe.
Anyway i used an angle grinder and a diamond disc and after about an hour i had cut out the cross member without causing any damage.
However when you tapped the pan it twanged like a tuning fork :LOL:
This stopped once it was secured to the floor thankfully :oops:

Go for it :cool:

Yep, angle grinder and a cheapo diamond disc, easy peasy. Ordinary masonry discs work too but aren't quite as clean cutting - won't matter if you can't see it..

Heart in mouth stuff, eh? I once travelled a long way to pick up two double glazing units somebody had made for me to fit in two arched windows. Unfortunately he had made a mess at the point where the curve started from the straight sides, so I had no choice but to pad the whole thing heavily to damp vibrations and go at it very gently with the angle grinder, grinding in the direction of the pane. I got the glass ground down and the units fitted a treat. The key is to avoid shocks and keep everything smooth so as to avoid creating stress points.

Thanks everyone.

I cannot move the pipe.

I'm going to try with a porcelain 50mm drill bit first. I can practice on the sanitaryware that I removed from the bathroom. If all goes well then I'll try it on the new one. Failing that, I'll pad out behind the cistern/pan so there's no gap.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back